Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo Bird of Paradise in San Diego

Discussion in 'United States' started by sebbe67, 15 Mar 2008.

1. sebbe67

sebbe67 Well-Known Member

Hello,

Bird of Paradise is not very common in European zoos these days, Walsrode is the only place keeping a larger number of them.

North American zoos seems to be doing a whole better with them and there is several species which still can be considered to be common.

On San Diego Zoo own website they state that they have kept 19 species of Bird of Paradise since 1925, thats a pretty impressive record:eek:

I have searched around a fair bit in books and at the net though I have been unable to find out little about exactly which species San Diego has kept over the years. So if anyone could shed a light over this I would be most grateful.

At least which species they have kept, as well as any breeding succes with these.

Also intresting in their current collection, they keep a impressing number of Ragginas BOP and i wonder if they raise hatchlings of this species each year now? as they have a large number, do they intend to send some of their birds elsewhere or do they want to keep on to them? I guess not all of them is on public display? and any photos of their encloasers would also be highly intresting to see, I have seen a fair share on the Ragginas in San Diego but not many photos of the encloaser itself.

By looking on ISIS it also seems they breed Superb BOP very succesfully, and also keep an impressive number of these.

2. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

Hi sebbe!

At San diego, the raggiana BoP are kept in two different styles of aviary. Some are kept in the big Owen's rainforest and others are in the wings of australaia. They breed very regularly, at least one per year, i think. I'll have a look for some photos sebbe, I was very young when i went, so was interested more in species themselves. There is, however a picture of the owen's rainforest exhibit on the gallery:)

Superb BoP are kept in nice aviaries on the horn and hoof mesa. This area houses other birds too, great blue turaco, just to name one. I missed these species at SD, but as me and my family want to go back, we may get some pictures yet!!!!

San Diego also keep Magnificent BoP, but I don't think that they have been successful with these at all.

The WAP keeps 1.1 Superb BoP and 2.2 Magnificent BoP.

Look at this site:

Vtm.smugmug.com

The owner, Vic Murayama, has taken loads of great pictures, and he has let me use some of them on my site.

Hope this helps!!!

3. jusko88

jusko88 Well-Known Member

Can anyone confirm today that the san diego zoo still has the Magnificent BOP on exhibit? me and my gf will be going to san diego zoo 1st wk of june and i would love to see this amazing BOP. we have already seen Raggiana and Lesser BOP and were both excited to see the Superb BOP for the first time too!!! :). thks