Join our zoo community

Bird species NOT keept in walktrough aviaries

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by GiratinaIsGod, 29 Nov 2021.

1. GiratinaIsGod

GiratinaIsGod Well-Known Member

Penguins are not that rarly keept in walk troughs. Here is me in Naturzoo Rheine
    I saw a few walkr trough exhibits with storks, like in Rheine or Cologne. Cranes, I never saw in a classical walk trough, but pinned in the park area next to the visitors.
    Gulls are sometimes kept in penguin walktroughs

Attached Files:

Randomname0183 likes this.
  2. GiratinaIsGod

it is part of the peace treaty of Brisbane. The Emus have the right to pick at little children

3. GiratinaIsGod

Walsrode keept secretery bids in a walktrough

4. GiratinaIsGod

I have seen rheas and emus in walk troughs though

ParathePineapple likes this.
  5. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

Artis keeps free-flying Bali myana in the tropical green house (Metzelaarskas) with a variety of other bird species. Not sure if a tropical green house counts as a walkthrough aviary though.

6. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

If it has birds on a normal basis, then I think it does in my opinion. You're entering the bird's exhibit basically.

7. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Bali mynas are often kept in walkthrough aviaries. Green peafowl would be a big no-no. Very aggressive towards people. Indian peafowl would be fine but very destructive to vegetation, which would be a problem with many parrots.

Haliaeetus likes this.
  8. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

You would not have a predation problem with tawny frogmouths. There are many birds that will happily take the young of other birds, however large aviaries are not great places to breed birds anyway. One no-no would be lovebirds with smaller birds, especially finches. They have a habit of biting their legs off.

9. Dr Bright N04

Dr Bright N04 Well-Known Member

Most large hornbills and owls

10. Aardwolf

Aardwolf Well-Known Member

The Quito Zoo actually had a pretty cool nocturnal walk-through aviary with several species of owls

SwampDonkey likes this.
  11. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

Zoo Tampa has Nene geese in their main aviary, and saddle billed storks in the other walk through aviary in Asia as well as previously having emu and wallaby in another walkthrough. They keep kookaburra and great Indian hornbill in side aviaries off of the main aviary, so not with the general population.

Brown pelicans are not common in aviaries, perhaps other pelican species too. Zoo Tampa previously kept great white pelicans in the African delta aviary, but it was demolished a while back. They also kept brown pelicans, but they were not in an walk through aviary.

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  12. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

I've seen various species of mynahs in wakthrough enclosures in various zoos. For example Taipei Zoo with jungle mynah and Haus des Meeres with bank mynah.

I also have been in emu walkthroughs and large bird of prey walkthrougs (including large vultures like Ruppell's griffon, secretarybirds, African gymnogene and long-crested eagle together... hmmm I guess many of you know which zoo is it).

I have seen large parrots (amazons, both blue-fronted and yellow-headed, plus nanday conure and red-fronted macaw) in a walkthrough exhibit. Toucans and curassows too.

I've see cranes running free like peafowl (Demoiselle, grey crowned), probably this don't count as "walkthrough" but they're in contact with visitors anyway. I suppose aggresivity of cranes will depend more on the individual personality and circunstances (breeding vs. non-breeding), so cranes can be safe with visitors depending on both factors. I've seen demoiselle crane also in a true walkthrough exhibit - and feeding from the hands of children.

Probably every bird that is able to thrive well in captivity (so no pelagic tubenoses, swifts or such kind of things) are also able to do well in a walkthrough aviary. Papuan people keep cassowaries as pets in their homes, so why not in a walkthroug? Probably is just a matter of evaluating the personality of each individual bird.

Last edited: 30 Nov 2021
  13. Daniel Funk

Daniel Funk Active Member

True, the Prague Zoo keeps cranes in walk-through aviaries. Regarding to the cassowaries, that is a bit risky since they can be dangerous.

14. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The starling/myna species I can recall seeing in walk-throughs off the top of my head include Emerald Starling, Superb Starling, Golden-crested Myna, Grosbeak Starling, Violet-backed Starling, Metallic Starling, and Bali Myna. I've probably seen other species, too.
    NEW Zoo does/has kept American White Pelican in their walk-through aviary.

SwampDonkey likes this.
  15. JoJo22

JoJo22 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info to you and the others who replied. Maybe people in other countries are less likely to steal birds :p
    Anyway, with all the input here, I can't think of many species not kept anywhere in a walkthrough. I've seen penguins, owls, secretarybirds and cranes, too, to name a few. The only ones I'd still vote for could be cassowary and ostrich maybe...

JurassicMax likes this.
  16. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Pheasants can be problematic. I’ve known two peacock pheasants of different species that both had to be removed from walkthroughs for attacking people

17. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Pheasants are probably the birds I most commonly see in walk-through aviaries, behind parrots.

18. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'll add Long-tailed Glossy Starling, Purple Glossy Starling, and Golden-breasted Starling to that.

Same, though every here and there they can be problematic. Though really, occasionally certain individuals or conditions just don't work out among pretty much any species. I frequently hear of crowned pigeons, spoonbills, and parrots being common offenders as well.

This is interesting as I've seen this mixing a couple times.

Injury lawsuits involving dangerous animals, that's why for the USA anyways. :p

birdsandbats and MRJ like this.
  19. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Wildlife Habitat in Port Douglas, Queensland had cassowary in one of their walk-through aviaries. I believe Melbourne Zoo had kept cassowary in its large free flight aviary.

Hamilton Zoo, New Zealand once kept kiwi in their free flight aviary.

Bronx Zoo has a brilliant walk-through aviary with penguins.

20. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

..and that can work well. Individual cock pheasants of any species can get over-familiar and start attacking, though.