Join our zoo community

Bird species NOT keept in walktrough aviaries

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by GiratinaIsGod, 29 Nov 2021.

1. Haliaeetus

Haliaeetus Well-Known Member

I've seen many species in walk-throughs exhibits (not only aviaries, also open enclosures), including :
    • Argus Pheasant
    • Demoiselle and African Crowned Crane
    • Emu
    • small to medium-sized parrots (e.g. Gray African Parrot)
    • Vultures (diverse species)
    • Mynahs (many species)
    • Storks and Ibises
    I think that Condors are suitable in a very large walk-through aviary (I'm nearly sure that King Vultures live in the Great Aviary of Doué la Fontaine).

In my opinion, few species cannot live in walk-throughs exhibits, they are mainly species not suitable for mixed-species exhibits because they are harmful for other birds and even humans :
    • Eagles and Falcons (but not Kites, Vultures and even Buzzards)
    • Owls, especially the largest species
    • Crows (opportunistic, they can eat or harass the other birds)
    • Cassowaries

2. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm inclined to disagree, mainly due to the sheer size and tendency to be aggressive. Emus and rheas may be bigger sure, but they're not touting a 10 foot wingspan. If a condor got too used to people they'd have to pull it, too risky for kids especially. Besides that California Condor would be forbidden for use in such aviaries due to rarity and restrictions, and Andeans are better off in breeding situations anyways.

Not the best example, but I've been in a walkthrough housing a Peregrine that had a wing injury. It was housed by itself but you could walk through.
    Honestly you might be able to use kestrels in a walkthrough since they're relatively harmless, but it'd probably stress them out.

Several people have mentioned owl walkthroughs. Largest isn't really a factor, I've seen photos of Great Gray walkthroughs, and have been through a Snowy Owl walkthrough myself (they all had wing injuries but still counts; annoyingly I didn't see any though.)
    Also to your mention of them not being mixable, while many aren't there are a few that are. Burrowing Owl is commonly mixed with various species, and there's the occasional mixed exhibit with a different owl species.

3. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

I don’t think you entirely understand. I don’t know about the first two examples but I do know Bronx zoos penguins can’t actually walk through and interact with guests. That’s the question, not what animals have simply been kept but which can interact with guests in a freeflight or open walking situation.

evilmonkey239 and MRJ like this.
  4. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've seen a few zoos with Black Swans in walk-throughs, that has always struck me as odd due to potential problems with aggression.

5. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi,
    Much what you write is true, however, a modern generation of aviaries are much larger than traditional ones in old city zoos. This allows more diverse species.

At Villars de Dombes, France, there is a walkthrough aviary ca 50 x 70 x 15m2 with big predatory species like marabou, goliath herons and egyptian vultures and small speckled pigeons, spur-winged lapwings and red-billed teal. And it seems to work. There are also walkthrough aviaries with green peafowl (Loro Parque) eagles (Aigles du Leman, France) and large parrots, among others.

6. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You mean the Yellow-Biled Storks right? Unless they brought back Saddlebills into their collection.

7. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

Nope, I mean saddle-billed, at least they did back in August of this year. :)

8. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Agree, in the context of this thread flightless birds are irrelevant. I'm willing to bet in the examples given the birds are separated from visitors by a barrier (I'd be interested to hear if that is not the case) and as they are flightless their interaction with flighted birds would be minimal.

Westcoastperson likes this.
  9. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So they're on view in the Sulawesi aviary along with the Yellowbills? AWESOME!!!!! :):):)

Last edited: 2 Dec 2021
    SwampDonkey likes this.
  10. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

Right? Or, at least they were. I have not been in the aviary the last few times I was there, but next time I go I will try and get a picture of them if they are still there.

11. JoJo22

JoJo22 Well-Known Member

Not in the examples I know. I know exhibits where penguins can walk across the pathways, same goes for rheas and emus, I think.

ParathePineapple and MRJ like this.
  12. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Zoo Schmiding offers walkthrough aviaries with Steller's sea eagles and large vultures. Several European zoos offer walk-through aviaries with owls, even larger ones.
    You're correct, however, in regards to corvids: I don't think that, say, large ravens or Australian magpies would be suitable for walkthrough aviaries.

Are there any walkthrough exhibits for keas?
    Large cranes & storks as well as shoebills might not be the best candidates for such exhibits.

13. ParathePineapple

ParathePineapple Well-Known Member

Cincinnati has a walkthrough kea exhibit.

evilmonkey239 and Batto like this.
  14. Batto

Ha, good to know; never noticed it.

15. Haliaeetus

Haliaeetus Well-Known Member

There's (or has been, I don't know) at least one walkthrough exhibit for Keas, in New Zealand.
    ZooLex Exhibit - Walk-through Kea Aviary

I know a walkthrough exhibit with African Storks in Beauval : Yellow-billed Stork, Abdim Stork and African Openbill. All these species live there in large flocks (I think, ca. 20 birds of each species).
    I add this exhibit is very large, with many perches and platforms that allow the birds to nest, and to avoid close proximity of visitors.

Batto likes this.
  16. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There should be a couple in NZ. The AZA Kea ACM makes mention of Kea walkthroughs.
    Animal Care Manuals | Association of Zoos & Aquariums
    See the Kea manual, pages 20 and 37 have short discussions on the subject.

MRJ, Batto and Haliaeetus like this.
  17. Batto

There are several walkthrough aviaries with storks. But with large and potentially dangerous ones -?

18. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Shoebill in Kobe animal kingdom is in a walkthrough

19. Batto

But wasn't someone hurt by a shoebill in a Japanese roadside zoo?

20. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

yeah but that's a roadside zoo

GiratinaIsGod and Haliaeetus like this.