Join our zoo community

Birds In New Zealand Zoos

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Chlidonias, 12 Mar 2011.

1. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

I guess the guidebooks would be a good resource too, although again they are vague and rarely list actual species.

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I've decided on a 1980 cut-off date for former exotic species. It's much easier.

However, this is an interesting item I found when looking through old newspaper articles - Wellington Zoo had Tooth-billed Pigeon in 1916: Papers Past | Newspapers | Evening Post | 18 December 1916 | This page

The article says:

Here, too, is the strange tooth-billed pigeon, most interesting to ornithologists as the supposed nearest relative of the dodo. To New Zealanders who have not studied bird history this peculiar bird is notable chiefly as a souvenir of the occupation of Samoa.

Some further searching shows that it was at the zoo from December 1914 to sometime close to April 1919, meaning it lived there for around four and a half years.

The Zoo Notes article in this newspaper from 22 December 1914 (Papers Past | Newspapers | Dominion | 22 December 1914 | This page) talks about the bird's arrival from Samoa, along with "a handsome pair of other Samoan pigeons (I presume Carpophaga pacifica, or oceanica), and a rail, also from Samoa"

The shipment had just recently arrived, and the birds would be going on display that week. Further down the article it continues:

...His Excellency the Governor received from our Expeditionary Force that recently took possession of the Samoan Islands, and on the advice of His Majesty's Ministers for New Zealand, presented to the Zoo. The valuable present comprised one tooth-billed pigeon, a very interesting bird; two pigeons of a species that has acquired powers for eating fruit, a species very interesting to ornithologists, and of striking appearance to every lover of pigeons; one pretty little dove, one interesting little rail, and two Java sparrows.

(Other articles call the dove a Diamond Dove, which is a bit odd. The rail wasn't specifically named but may have been a Banded Rail which are common in Samoa).

The behaviour of the Tooth-billed Pigeon at the zoo is discussed at length in a newspaper article for February 2015 here: Papers Past | Newspapers | Dominion | 17 February 1915 | This page

The Zoo Notes for 28 April 1919 notes, at the start of a long list of deaths, that the Tooth-billed Pigeon had "recently" died.
    Papers Past | Newspapers | Dominion | 28 April 1919 | This page

Last edited: 6 Oct 2017
  3. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hamilton's bittern died over the winter.

Zealandiatherium likes this.
  4. Chlidonias

oh, that's sad. They were supposed to have had two, but there's never much information about their birds.

5. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

That is sad about the Bittern. They did have two, but I'm not sure what the current status is. I was in Hamilton for the last three weeks, but unable to visit the zoo sadly.

6. Cassidy Casuar

Cassidy Casuar Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I don't think Nga Manu had any little owls when I visited in January.

7. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

They did when I visited a week and a half ago, but labeled them "German owls".

8. Cassidy Casuar

Another Barn Owl chick has been hatched at Wingspan. (1) (2)

Last edited: 9 Nov 2019
    Chlidonias likes this.
  9. Cassidy Casuar

Seven more Barn Owl chicks have recently been hatched at Wingspan, apparently. (x)

Last edited: 9 Feb 2020
    WhistlingKite24 and Chlidonias like this.
  10. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

The pair of Brolgas at Hamilton Zoo have since moved to Auckland as the zoo opened a new brolga exhibit. A recent post mentions that they now have three brolgas - the resident male and this new pair:

Have you been in to see our beautiful new brolga habitat?

We now have three of these fascinating Australian wetland birds at Auckland Zoo - with this male and female arriving earlier this year from our friends at Hamilton Zoo.

Brolga are one of Australia's largest birds - standing a metre tall with a wing span of up to 2.4 metres, with long stilt-like legs.

We're pleased to announce their lush, green habitat on our Australian Bush Track is now open for visiting - come along and see them and other iconic Aussie species this week!”

11. Zealandiatherium

Zealandiatherium Member

Could we possibly get Rheas back? or where they phased out

Patrick Keegan likes this.
  12. Zealandiatherium

Zealandiatherium Member

Truly an amazing find, thanks for sharing

13. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A Little blue penguin hatched at Auckland Zoo on August 29. If the chick survives, this will be the first successful rearing of this species at Auckland Zoo.

The chick is being hand raised to ensure success and the establishment of a sustainable flock, which until now has been comprised entirely of injured rescues.

Patrick Keegan, Matt_C and Cobi like this.
  14. WalkingAgnatha

WalkingAgnatha Well-Known Member

Don't believe this has been mentioned but Auckland Zoo have acquired:
    Crimson Rosella (Sheet says 2(F), saw one)
    Pale-headed Rosella (Sheet does not list anything but I saw 2 individuals)
    Brown Capped Emerald Doves (Sheets says 2(M)&2(F) saw at least 2 individuals)
    All 3 of these are in the Red Tailed Black Cockatoo Aviary, which they may be phasing out? As the sheet only lists one individual now.
    They also have a Barn Owl, which is off display but was viewable at one of the talks (Hidden NZ).

15. Matt_C

Matt_C Well-Known Member

We were told the Red Tailed Black has been gifted to a private residence as it was becoming too tame and interactive with guests, we were definitely sad to see it go.

16. WalkingAgnatha

WalkingAgnatha Well-Known Member

Ah that makes sense, was used to them always being up close and tame so was quite confused when I couldn't spot any today haha.

17. Matt_C

Matt_C Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are good reasons but it always sucks as a visitor when zoos get rid of or hide away birds that interact well with the public.

Apparently there was an American zoo advisor visiting NZ recently who was encouraging the zoos to let visitors interact more with animals and it was influential at Hamilton at least.

Zoofan15 and Patrick Keegan like this.
  18. Matt_C

Matt_C Well-Known Member

I *think* the advisor was Steve Martin, it was definitely someone with the same name as an actor as I spent a fair bit of the conversation trying to work out what an older actor had to do with zoos.

19. Causticjay

Causticjay Member

Not sure if this is being kept up-to-date at all, but according to Pūkaha's website they are "home to a retired pair of hihi, kept as an insurance population for the species."

20. Chlidonias

This species is already on the list as being kept there.