Join our zoo community

Anello's Torch Lite Petting Farm Birdsandbats' Anello's Torch Lite Review

Discussion in 'United States' started by birdsandbats, 4 Sep 2019.

1. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Anello's Torch Lite is a restaurant and zoo located in Shawano, Wisconsin. The facility was originally just a restaurant, but in the late 90s a free zoo was added.

Let's start in the restaurant. The food was great.

There are no animals inside the restaurant, but out on the deck there is a small pen for a young Red Kangaroo and an albino Bennett's Wallaby. All the other enclosures are in a small woodsy area behind the restaurant.

The largest enclosure here is a paddock probably slightly larger than an acre home to Dromedary, Domestic Goat, Domestic Sheep, Domestic Greylag Goose, and Hybrid Domestic Goose. It even has a small pond. The second largest enclosure is about half bare dirt and half overgrown and has a small play house as a shelter. It is home to: Domestic Chicken (including 11 young chicks), Capybara, Domestic Rabbit, Patagonian Cavy. Next to this there is a small, barren hutch containing one Domestic Rabbit.

After these are four small enclosures that are very homemade in feel, made out of chicken wire and wood. However, I am not entirely sure what species are in here. There is no signage in the entire zoo and I only saw an animal in one enclosure: a Red Fox. The other were clearly inhabited, but the animals not visible. This news clip suggests North American Porcupine, South American Coati, and White-nosed Coati, but that was two years ago. Roadside places like this often have constantly changing species lists. The only other enclosure here is home to a single Domestic Rabbit.

Also notable is that I saw over 100 wild Common Nighthwaks here.

Jungle Man and Yi Qi like this.
  2. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Do nighthawks commonly flock like that? I always assumed they were solitary... and difficult to find. I've never even managed to see one, let alone 100+! :p

3. birdsandbats

They are migrating now, I think. Before this week I had only seen 5, now I have seen around 200!

4. birdsandbats

I've uploaded some photos.

Coelacanth18 likes this.