Join our zoo community

Birmingham Nature Centre Birmingham Wildlife Conservation Park News 2017

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Charlie Simmomds, 2 Feb 2017.

1. Charlie Simmomds

Charlie Simmomds Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'd noticed no body had created a thread for this yet, so I've decided to do so with some news from the park. The nature centre has put on display Saharan uromastyx. 4 youngsters have gone on show in the reptile house after a few years, since the zoo first got the species. You can find more news on these lizards on the zoo's facebook page:

Birmingham Wildlife Conservation Park | Facebook

2. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just found this on you tube from the former Birmingham zoo that is now BNC

3. Charlie Simmomds

Well I have just had a lovely day out at my home collection, and my first zoo in about two years. I hadn't been to the nature centre since about year 3 (Age 7-8 for you foreigners) and I knew some things had changed but I was surprised to see a lot of the zoo was exactly the same and how I remembered it.

The big things I identified though had t be the old wallaby enclosure is now a children's play area with log and rope climbing frames and a funny rocking lemur you could sit on. The wallaby's are now housed with the centre's pair of pygmy goats. In other news the guinea pig house is now a classroom type area with a caricature artist doing work for £5.00 a person. The guinea pigs are now split between two paddocks one right next to the old house by the spider monkey enclosure and the other built around a tree near the ring-tailed lemur and African spurred tortoise enclosures.

There is an empty vivarium in the small insect/ lower vertebrate house as well that looked ready for stocking some time soon.

Other than this I would say their is no big news so I just wanted to talk about my day. Greater rhea where a nice spot for me, I had seen them before once when I was walking outside the zoo but seeing them up close was nice, one did look to be doing courtship following two females but the devil stopped before I could take a photo. The Safki where very nice to see, though I only saw two males and did not see the cotton topped tamarin at all, unfortunately. The lone ocelot was sleeping in his house and was a nice change after watching pot bellied pigs and a lone European pond turtle. The Lynx where really great as well, best I had ever saw the group before! Unfortunately i did not get a good view of the gentle lemur, I could see it in the house but it was far away and very much in shadow, but I count it non the less! The two crane species blue and white-napped where very good to see they where right at the walls of the enclosure, though I only saw one of each. I saw all the monkeys in their large Amazon paddock and an agouti for the first time, one of the lion headed tamarins was in a separate enclosure though by the gentle lemur. Reptile house, bar screaming children, was very cool, the new young Uromastyx where zipping about like mad right next to the glass, I was also lucky to see the chameleon forest dragon, only a small specimen in the very top of the enclosure. I also enjoyed the mangrove snake but failed to spot either gecko species on show. The nocturnal house was a joy seeing owl monkeys and loris for the first time was awesome! No luck seeing the pied tamarin or red squirrel and tragopan and only saw three female sitatunga, but non the less it was a great trip my highlight being binturong for sure! I will upload photos to the gallery in due coarse.

Brum likes this.
  4. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Have they only got one Ocelot now then? There were still two when I visited a few weeks ago.
    Glad the nocturnal house is open again, it was shut when I went.

The Binturong was the highlight of my last visit too & was very active outside.

5. Charlie Simmomds

I only saw the one.

6. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well, of course!

:)

7. steveuk99

steveuk99 Active Member 10+ year member

I went to BNC for the first time 2 weeks ago and there were 2 Ocelots then. They're in separate but adjacent enclosures. Both were inside asleep when we were there but it was first thing.

There was also definitely more than one pond turtle.

My highlight was also the Binturong however overall I was very impressed with the collection. The nocturnal house was in my opinion one of the best in the country.

pipaluk and FunkyGibbon like this.
  8. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

9. Leopardus

Leopardus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

3 Red-Footed Tortoises have gone on-show in the 'Tamarin Conservation Centre'. They share the indoor space with the Emperor Tamarins, Golden-Headed Lion Tamarins and Coppery Titis.

Charlie Simmomds and Brum like this.
  10. Charlie Simmomds

Can't image they where kept in those boxes right I won't guess what it is but I'm excited non the less.

11. pipaluk

12. Charlie Simmomds

Yes they have three in an enclosure that was recently refurbished with large climbing frames in it.

13. pipaluk

That's what I saw earlier this year! Thanks for confirming. Why do people want more of the same? Daft!!

14. Charlie Simmomds

No idea they just see red panda logo and assume that I imagine, I hope for a species of mammal though.

15. Charlie Simmomds

Well in the box's where 2 three banded armadillo. That will go on show after a 30 day quarantine period. I wondered if the zoo already has this species I can't remember if they do or not.

16. Leopardus

I can confirm that three-banded armadillo are a new species for BWCP.

17. Charlie Simmomds

Lovely! Don't they have another species in the owl monkey and sloth enclosure I'm sure I've seen one signed as being in there.

18. Leopardus

BWCP held Big Hairy Armadillo until a few months ago

19. Charlie Simmomds

Ahhh right thanks for that.

20. Charlie Simmomds

The centres 1 year old red panda mambo is moving on to Woburn safari park as part of the breeding program.