Join our zoo community

Birmingham Nature Centre Birmingham Wildlife Conservation Park News 2017

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Charlie Simmomds, 2 Feb 2017.

1. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Nice to see this species establishing quite a presence in UK collections.

Charlie Simmomds and Brum like this.
  2. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Visited today first time for quite a while and must admit species wise I was impressed, did notice changes from my last visit with the old sheep pen (as I called it) replaced with a play area for children.

This is a vast improvement as the old sheep pen was looking a little tired, the Red Squirrels have now gone to be replaced by a parrot species and a species of fowl.

On the other side we still have what I must admit I love to see in collections the Sitatunga mixed with Cameroon Sheep just as you walk in to the left we have the Big Guinea pigs just joking the Capybara are always nice to see especially closeup.

Now onto the small monkey collection I love how this as improved with some great species among them, Lion Headed Tamarins, Golden Lion Tamarin, Bearded Emperor Tamarins, Squirrel Monkey, Saki Monkey, Pygmy Marmoset, Ring Tailed lemur, Columbian Black Spider Monkey, Geoldi’s Monkey, Gentle lemur & Red Titi were the ones I saw today.

Did notice that the White Naped Cranes were down to one bird today, I’m taking it as there is only one bird as the keeper was cleaning out the night pen.

I eventually managed to get a sight of the Northern Lynx after a few return trips to the enclosure without success, mind you I can’t remember the last time I saw this enclosure quite so over grown this could be said for a few of the enclosure’s not just here but in a lot of collections these days.

A great visit to the Reptile House this always make me feel great as every time I visit there are always new species to look at, this time it was Black Tree Monitor and Kuhl's Flying Gecko the latter being a zoo lifer for me.

Didn’t go into the bugs hut but did manage the Moonlight Hut did manage to see a few of the species in here with the Linne’s Sloth moving and looking directly towards the window viewing area, also quite lively today where the Douroucouli Monkey.

The one enclosure was empty no sign to say what will be moving into the enclosure, another species that was very active today was the Binturong on several occasions it was very close to the front window giving great views.

It was great to see the Barn Owl out and about in with the Reeve's Pheasants (such beautiful birds), just about caught a glimpse of the Pied Tamarin at the back of the indoor hut.

I must admit this place is a gem of a collection with great species and great staff with a friendly atmosphere all around the place.

As I was walking around the collection I took time out to see what wild bird species were around and I was really surprised at what I found so here goes –

Blackbird, Woodpigeon, Carrion crow, Magpie, Jay, Robin, Dunnock, Chaffinch, Great tit, Bullfinch, Blue tit, Goldcrest, Nuthatch, Grey wagtail, Pied wagtail, Treecreeper, Feral pigeon, Black headed gull & Song thrush.

Kifaru Bwana and Brum like this.
  3. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

No Canada geese? You were unlucky, I normally see them either on the river or just over in Cannon Hill, surely the most obvious species within 100 yards of the centre.

4. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Didn't see any round the collection but there were quite a few in the park along with Black headed gulls, Lesser black backed gulls, Mute swan, Mallard, Coot, Dunnock, Blackbird, Carrion crow, Magpie, Wood pigeon, Robin, Long tailed tit, Blue tit, Mallard hybids, Moorhen, Great tit, Greenfinch, Wren, Starling & House sparrow (also seen around collection).

Kifaru Bwana likes this.