Join our zoo community

Birmingham Nature Centre Birmingham Wildlife Conservation Park News 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Charlie Simmomds, 13 Jan 2018.

1. Charlie Simmomds

Charlie Simmomds Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Starting the year off with a new animal for the collection. A friend of mine volunteers at the park and puts up photos of the animals she works with on a regular basis.

Today one of these was the Patagonian Mara, a new species for the collection which in my opinion fit in really well with the current stock and the size of the centre as well.

Brum likes this.
  2. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I noticed these last week. They're currently in the squirrel monkey enclosure.

Charlie Simmomds and Brum like this.
  3. Animallover1998

Animallover1998 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Haven't they already kept Mara at BWCP before in the past while it was known as the Nature Centre? Because I'm pretty sure I remember seeing them there back in June 2012.

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Correct; in fact, to the best of my recollection the ones at Birmingham were the first I saw :p

5. Charlie Simmomds

I personally don't remember seeing them when I was younger but I'm most likely mistaken.

6. Animallover1998

Animallover1998 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well, either way I'm happy to hear that they are back in the collection. :)

7. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I can remember seeing them (Mara) in 2011 they were mixed with the Ring tailed coati in the now small monkey mixed enclosure

8. Charlie Simmomds

The park have confirmed they have 4 Mara.

9. Leopardus

Leopardus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A male Chinese Crocodile Lizard (Shinisaurus crocodilurus) has gone on-show in the former Rhinoceros Ratsnake enclosure in the reptile house.

Swampy, Charlie Simmomds and Brum like this.
  10. Charlie Simmomds

Another lifer for me after the black tree monitor!

11. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm intending to visit up from London soon.Hoping it's worth it it.? Given the limited size of the place,am i right in assuming that seasonally,the animal stocklists change. Some species leave to make room for other species?

12. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

No more than is the case at any other zoological collection, nor is the collection all that small compared to many others - for comparison, BWCP covers approximately 8.5 acres, not far off the 10 acres covered by Bristol Zoo, and very likely uses a greater proportion of its footplan for exhibits than does the latter collection, whilst somewhere like Battersea Park Children's Zoo or Shaldon Zoo covers only 2 acres.

13. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Eric, just to manage expectations, I would point out that although BWCP uses a greater proportion of it's area for enclosures (no vast "wasteful" lawns) many of these are paddocks meaning that it has considerably less to look at than Bristol, especially when considering Bristol's well stocked reptile house and invert house (and small aquarium too). That's not to say BWCP is not a great little place (I always enjoy my visits) just that Bristol's in a different league (arguably the best "small/smaller" zoo in UK). Check Zootierliste for clarification if needed.

Brum, TNT, pipaluk and 2 others like this.
  14. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thanks folks,for the helpful input for my impending first visit. I'm ever the keen zoo fan,and my interest is still peaked just to see it for a first time visitor,to judge for myself.

15. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

6.5 compared to 12, just over half the size... :p

16. Shorts

Somebody's going to have to get a tape measure out*. :D In my mind Brum seems nearer the mark but I sometimes struggle with areas (for those that remember my incorrect belief that Twycross' Giraffe enclosure/paddock was not much bigger than it's predecessor -woefully wrong:oops:).

*Failing that we could arrange a fight and sell tickets with proceeds to conservation charity. I initially thought a drinking contest might be more civilised but thought that might turn out a bit one sided.:)

Brum likes this.
  17. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Or a drinking contest followed by a fight. Isn't that how it normally goes?

18. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

My measurements come from the IZES guide by Tim Brown. And I would much rather have a drinking contest, no fist fight afterwards. If I can't win on beer alone then I don't want to play! :p

And I'm perplexed as to how I have this reputation as a big drinker, I just enjoy a refreshing alcoholic beverage when appropriate! :p

pipaluk likes this.
  19. Shorts

Why did you automatically assume I was suggesting you were the big drinker who'd win?:) Case proven.:p

Brum likes this.
  20. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

I'm amazed by the sizes put up here. I know Bristol is small but it feels far bigger than BNC. I went to BNC last autumn having done Dudley in the morning and can safely say I covered it thoroughly in an hour, and that included a good 20 minutes trying to view the Loris and get a nice picture in the Nocturnal house (my fav part). I loved the Red Panda exhibit there though, it was really good.

If it is only a couple of acres smaller than Bristol, then I'm amazed and Bristol definitely has far more in it's grounds and uses it's space far better.