Join our zoo community

Black Leopards

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Ara, 1 May 2008.

1. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

@snowleopard: You're welcome. Isn't that the same business that breeds fennec foxes as pets?

2. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I hadn't heard about the fennec foxes, but I can see how they would appeal to people with money to spend on "cute exotics". The wildlife laws in Canada, as well as much of the U.S., are weak and ineffective when it comes to any type of regulation. One doesn't require a license to obtain a spider monkey, as one was notoriously stolen from the Greater Vancouver Zoo last week. Owning black servals or fennec foxes is easy enough for anyone wishing to spend the cash.

3. Sun Wukong

@snowleopard: judging on what I have experienced so far, it kind of depends in which federal state in the US You are, with Missouri most likely being the laxest one when it comes to regulations in regard to exotic animal trading and exotic pets...

4. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

........so if you had the money, you could have quite a nice little private zoo.
    (Could never happen in Australia, even if you were a multi-millionaire. Private zoos are VERBOTEN!)

So much for living in a democracy. (Alright, fellow Aussies; don't all jump down my throat. I'm only stirring!)

Are Ocelots still generally available in the pet trade in U.S.?

5. Sun Wukong

@Ara: Last time I checked, ocelots were available...;)

Well, some folks at Missouri and other American federal states have their private zoos, including pygmy hippos or giraffes. But also in Europe, You can find the most unlikely creatures (like Tomistomas...) kept as pets. And don't forget the sheiks with huge private zoos (with up to 1 million animals-including Arabian thars, BoP, Yemen Rabbits or beira antelopes...). Sure, money makes the world (of animal trade) go round...At least they don't defang or declaw the animals there...

6. NZ Jeremy

NZ Jeremy Well-Known Member

Great link Sun, the white coated mammal page on that site was interesting too...