Join our zoo community

Black Lion Tamarin Exhibits

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by TNT, 4 Feb 2022.

1. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

To all the "Zoochatters" of South America - If any of you have any photographs of Black Lion Tamarin exhibits in South American zoos, I would love to see them please?

I've found one photo on the gallery, but can't seem to find any more. Any help would be greatly appreciated - I'd love to see what you have to share.

Thanks!
    TNT

2. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Giant Eland and TNT like this.
  3. Giant Eland

Giant Eland Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@ThomasNotTom Indeed @TinoPup is correct I have some of these photos. I’m away in Mexico this week- but after I return I can do it (maybe PM me to remind me in a week)

Any reason in particular?

TNT and TinoPup like this.
  4. TNT

Thank you! It's for some work related to my Master's degree - I was hoping to include some pictures in a report (with permission of course).

TinoPup likes this.
  5. David Matos Mendes

David Matos Mendes Well-Known Member

Hi, Thomas, I might have interesting material for you in this regard. Black lion tamarin is only kept by six zoos in the world, being only one of them outside of Brazil: Jersey zoo (Durrel), in your country. Here follows some of the black lion tamarin exhibits I have seen in person and photographed, both of them in the two institutions that most breed the species in BR:

Exhibit for black lion tamarin at São Paulo Zoo, the main breeder of the species. The zoo was the first to establish the conservation program for the species, back in XX century. (Photo taken in october 2020).
    DSCN4335.JPG

DSCN4338.JPG

Exhibit for black lion tamarin at Belo Horizonte zoo, wich also breeds the species very well (Photo taken on april 2021, although the exhibit keeps the same in all my visits since then). This exhibit, like all the other small primate enclosures at the place, are particularly interesting, for being located in a considerably big fragment of atlantic forest.
    DSCN5606.JPG

The species is (or was) also kept in São Carlos zoo (smaller city located near São Paulo), the Rio Primate center, and maybe at the Pomerode zoo, afaik. I haven't visited these yet, but the info I have to the moment is that none of these three have achieved to breed the species.

6. TNT

Thank you for the images an information, David. I was familiar with most of the facts, but images of exhibits have been very had to locate!

Do I please have your permission to use these photos, with credit? The report won't be published or anything, it's just some internal work for my degree.

David Matos Mendes likes this.
  7. David Matos Mendes

You're welcome, Thomas! Feel completely free to use these images. Also, if I include either São Carlos or Pomerode zoo on my zootrip list of this year, I'll try to provide you pictures of the enclosures for these species in respective institutions, if still needed :D

Antoine and TNT like this.
  8. TNT

Even if I don't need them at that point, I'd love to see them please.

And thank you!

David Matos Mendes likes this.
  9. David Matos Mendes

Great then. Will keep you updated in case I do get to visit these places and obtain such images.

You're welcome! :)

TNT likes this.
  10. David Matos Mendes

Former zoochater OC has given me info that the Guarulhos zoo has received some black lion tamarins from São Paulo zoo a few months ago. Having that in mind, now 7 institutions keep the species. OC is said to be visiting Guarulhos zoo again soon, in order to deal with mountain marmoset conservation program issues, in wich he works, and told me, in case he indeed goes, he is gonna provide pictures of the enclosure(s) dedicated for these individuals there.

I have never been to said zoo, but here it is an image of the enclosures where they keep callitrichids. The black lion tamarins are being held in one of these.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Images credits: Sidnei Barros

FelipeDBKO likes this.
  11. TNT

Thanks again, David. I did hear of this transfer last year, I believe they received a pair? I had managed to find an Instagram post with a picture of their exhibit, but it's nice to get a overall view such as this.
    upload_2022-2-6_21-57-33.png

12. David Matos Mendes

Yes, exactly. For some motive, I wasn't aware of this information until today.

Kifaru Bwana and TNT like this.
  13. FelipeDBKO

FelipeDBKO Well-Known Member

Now you can also include Guarulhos Zoo in the list of the zoos that have bred the species :)

TNT, carlos55 and David Matos Mendes like this.
  14. David Matos Mendes

TNT, carlos55 and FelipeDBKO like this.