Join our zoo community

Taronga Western Plains Zoo black rhino - 2nd generation

Discussion in 'Australia' started by jay, 8 Apr 2006.

1. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Does anyone remember Kusomona, the first black rhino to be born at Western Plains? Well he was sent to Fossil Rim in the US and guess what, he is now a father! His son was born in December 2005. The birth of this second generation is really important, continuing the blood line through.
    Jai

2. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

are you from dubbo zoo. and then baby white boy naming im a finalist in that contest, i hope i win. both amira and inyetti are gorgeos, i met amira up there last year, the the big male, father of new calf, Khulu is ,massive but such a sweet gentle giant, standing next to him in the crush, he puts u in your place. do you no pascale who works with the rhinos, she is a zoo legend, she can look at one of those rhinos and tell if its pregnent or sick, by just a look in the eye. so a qn, have they reintroduced amira with the herd, if so thts a very full exhibit. whos in there, Khulu, amira and mum intombi, inyetti and her mum Aluka, and now umquali with her new boy, thts a lot of rhino!

can u help me, whts the name of the spare male from kruger? and how is azizi going?

Last edited: 26 Apr 2006
  3. Zoo_Boy

news just in, i lost the naming contest, but i was in top 5, some really old duck won it, with the name kye meaning white, over my hamaza meaning strong o well **** happens, thnx for the info zuki pah, also are u currntly volunteering to try and get a job at dubbo

4. Zoo_Boy

o well
    yea i thought so im a bad speller u well get to no this,

5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Rhino breeding

Any news on black rhino breeding at Dubbo?

How are the females doing right now? What about females no. 4 who has only had one calf early on arrival at Dubbo and none since?

What improvements have been forthcoming on the breeding and feeding of black rhino in 2005/6?

6. Kifaru Bwana

Guys,

Any news on current breeding of the black rhinos at Dubbo?

What about AI at Dubbo (I heard they were having experiments with this technique)?

Cheers,

Jelle

7. Kifaru Bwana

Zuki-pah,

I meant the female Chitundumusere who is yet to breed successfully at Dubbo.

I know that both Kalungwizi, Dongajuma and Pepe Kalle are old hats at breeding now and Musina Pongo just the one (non-surviving calf).

What about Musina Pongo is she still breeding and any chances that she may be pregnant at all?

Jelle

8. Kifaru Bwana

Zoo-kipah,

Any chance that these two might yet reproduce. I heard that the IZW scientists from Berlin have been visitting Dubbo to look at black rhino AI. Technically speaking both females even from 1983 have still some breeding years before them and with AI might become pregnant. I suppose they have been reproductively evaluated by the IZW?

In the past a female from Dvur Kralove zoo first bred successfully at 25 (Elvira, I think) and another at the Sedgewick County Zoo likewise. Both were females with a history of reproductive failure. Only assisted hormone treatment and the like made these 2 reproduce in the end. Perhaps that might also be the case with the 2 non-reproducing cows at Dubbo. Could you enquire with the Dubbo staff at all?

Thanx,

Jelle

POST SCRIPT: When is Chikundo leaving with the 4 other black rhino from US zoos for reintroduction to Africa?

Last edited: 11 Jul 2006
  9. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

If I remeber rightly, Chester had the first 2nd generation black rhino called Emma. They haven't bred them for a while though.

10. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I don't know if Emma was the first 2nd generation birth anywhere, I doubt it, but probably the first in UK.

Her parents were; m Parky born Whipsnade(parents Rupert x Mama Kidogo)
    f. Esther.brn L0ndon(parents Paul x June.)

These tw were just about the only survivors of at least five offspring born to the each of the pairs at London and Whipsnade Zoo. 'Rosie' also at Chester is the last calf of the female Mama Kidogo but was born at London. She was handraised and hasn't bred at Chester.

Esther had only two calves; Emma(father Parky, later sent to Zurich)and much later one of the two females in the Tsavo experience area(father Quinto, later sent t Whipsnade but now back at Chester)

Emma was sent to Whipsnade, paired with two different male, including Quint, but didn't breed. She died at Whipsnade. Whipsnade got anther female, after it died Quinto was sent back to Chester. They haven't had much success in recent years.

11. Writhedhornbill

Isn't the black rhino family tree complicated.

12. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, although there was no breeding in UK until 1950's. Bristol was the first with a breeding pair, they had five calves but only the first two males survived to adulthood. The first one, Roger, was Chester's first breeding male but none of the current Chester rhinos are descended from him.

Paignton recently(March) bred a female calf with lots of publicity as it was televised. This is their first birth of this species. Their male Kingo(father of the new calf) came from Port Lympne. HIS father Baringo was born in Dublin Zoo, and fathered by the 2nd male(Ronald) born at Bristol Zoo. So this new Paignton calf is descended from that Bristol pair.

13. Writhedhornbill

I haven't been to paignton zoo. It has green oropendolas. They are really nice.

Last edited: 15 Apr 2007
  14. Kifaru Bwana

I am reviving the thread.

Does anyone know which WPZ black rhino males are held at Monarto?
    What is the plan longterm with these?
    When will the planned reintroduction of captive-bred black rhino males start (young male Chikundo) ?

15. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

has the breeding project at wpz been successful, i know they had a bad start with the death of 2 males, then they brought a male in from the usa, has he bred and how many.

16. Zoo_Boy

kiang, we actually have breed 10! but sadley 4 died , 2 males, and sadely 2 females, all of avrious causes, such as intestinal probelmes, to the mother falling on the baby.

but we have had 6 survive, 5 males, and 1 females, the beautiful bakita, who as first female, as a huge fancy bar and resurant named after her, BAkita's Cafe.

2 males did go to monarto, but sorry not sure who, it was one of the babies born in the last lot, 2 years ago. they actually were introduced to each other prior to the move, and now live together in there new home at monartos old elephant exhibit.

will try and find out who it was!

17. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

what size is the herd now and is it likely for future breeding

18. Zoo_Boy

i belive that there still is many breeding possibilities, but at current, wpz is the world leader in a.i and other experimental breeding techniques.

for more info, the best site is
    http://www.rhinokeeperassociation.org/workshops/2007.htm3

that site has presentaions from around the world, from june i belive this year. there are about 5 presentations solely on western plains zoo, 2 on indian rhino, 1 on whites, and 2 on blacks, which will answer all qns on the herd, and breeding problems, and breeding advancements

19. Kifaru Bwana

My questions regarding the WPZ black rhino remain unanswered. :confused: The Rhino Keepers Assoc. data are from start of May 2007.

The Monarto Zoo started keeping the black rhino over summer 2007:
    So, again:
    Which 2 young males have left WPZ for Monarto?
    When is Chikundo to be shipped out with some US southern black rhinos back to southern Africa?

Anyone near enough to Monarto to bother and ask?

20. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

Just reviving an old thread;
    It's 50 years ago this month that Taronga had its first black rhino birth, which at the time was a big deal (still is, I suppose) and was reported all over the world.