Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Black rhino at Chester Zoo

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Kifaru Bwana, 7 May 2007.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Can someone update me on the exact composition of the Chester Zoo black rhinos?? On ISIS the numbers are 3.3

Females before at Chester: Rosie, Pangani (DECEASED?), Manyara and Kitani. ++ ANOTHER FEMALE EX DVUR KRALOVE ZOO. Males: Quinto, Sammy and mystery guest (Mwaniki or other Port Lympne male).

What is the story in morning glory!!!

2. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

It really puzzles me this one....

They have as you say Rosie, Manyara and Kitani. I think Pagani is dead I've been discussing it with Grantsmb on another thread. The ex Dvur kralorve is Ema and as far as I know she's still there. The males are Sammy, Quinto and other...The mystery guest as you put it. I'll ask when I next go. I'm building up a questionaire for the people at the zoo.

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Re Chester Black Rhinos;
    Pangani is definately dead.
    Females-They seem to have four females as are listed above, not three.
    Males- Definately Quinto & Sammy. If there is a third male, I think it is Magadi (2nd) born 1999 at Port Lympne. He is about the third male from Port Lympne to spend time at Chester.

4. Writhedhornbill

There was another male Called Baringo 2 but he moved to Port lympe. As did a male from Dvur Kralorve.

5. Writhedhornbill

OOOH...

I just found this in one of my old Chester zoo magazines

"There is a lot happening on the rhino section. February was an exciting time when a pair of young rhinos, Ema and Jeremy arrived from Dvur Kralorve in the Czech republic. Jeremy is possibly moving on to a zoo in France but we are holding him until then. Port lympe want to Swap males so we are looking at Moving Baringo 2 and recieving a 5 yr old male called Magardi who will be paired up with Ema."

This was written in spring 2005 by Chas Mackenzie, head of Chester's rhino section. They also look after Tapirs, antelop and the new Indian rhino.

6. Pertinax

Yes, so if there are three males, the third is Magadi 2nd(ist died at PL and they used the name again) Jeremy from Dvur can't have been at Chester very long before he went to FRance. Baringo 2nd came from Port Lympne and went back to Port Lympne. Kata Kata went from Port Lympne to Whipsnade, then to Chester (in exchange for Quinto) then finally to France- probably to the same place as Jeremy I think.

7. Writhedhornbill

Yes. That sounds right to me.

8. Pertinax

Next time you go there maybe you can find out exactly what the situation is regarding breeding(or lack of it) of their Black rhinos. For a start, its about time the two young females Kitani and Manyara became pregnant from Sammy, maybe they already are?

And which female(if any) are they planning to try to breed Quinto with? He's the only proven male there but presently can only go with Rosie or Ema as the other two are his daughters. It seems from that article that Magadi is/was being kept with Ema. That only leaves Rosie- she's their most interesting rhino in many ways as I believe she has some behavioural problems which is why she hasn't been mated. It would be very good if she could be bred with Quinto(or any male) as she is from parents which have very low representation in the Black rhino gene pool.

Perhaps you can have a good talk with someone on that section.:) I've a couple of questions for you about other animals at Chester too but will leave them for now...:)

9. Writhedhornbill

I think one of the female rhinos kept with Sammy is Pregnant. That would be great news. What are your other questions? I'd like to know as I may be able to answer them for you.

10. Pertinax

Mandrills- how many Mandrills currently in the group- any recent births in (say) last two years?

Lion-tailed Macaques- how many currently in group? Has a new male been obtained in (say) the last two years or so. Do you know name of existing male in that group?

11. Writhedhornbill

I have a magazine that has an in depth view of the Lion tailed macaque group. I'll read that and post up any info. Have you Checked ISIS for the Mandrills?

12. Pertinax

Yes, thankyou. On my last visit there were nine animals i think. Adult trio and six offspring, fortunately all are female except the oldest one. As that male fathered most of these, they were preparing to exchange him so he didn't breed with the daughters. So I would expect another male to be in the group by now.

The two adult females are one each from Edinburgh(reme) and Colchester(tina?) -the colchester female is the mother of most of the offspring. The male then had an Indian type name(could have been Jamal?) See how all this ties in with the information you've got available.

Mandrills- male came from a dealer. the adult females are mother and daughter from Colchester. (one of them kills her babies) Last time I went there were also three offspring from the breeding(non- killer) female- making a total of SIX animals. That was about 2/3 years back. Any increase/change?

13. Writhedhornbill

The zoo has recently put flowerbeds in front of the mandrills to reduce stress. If the oppurtunity arose Chester would swap them for drills, but then who wouldn't.

14. Pertinax

Signor Hornbill. Any update oin the composition of Chester's Liontailed Macaque group?

Drills- Port Lympne have 6,(from Stuttgart) including the first one born in UK for forty years. Edinburgh have 2.1. imported more recently which you may have seen. They are only zoos exhibiting them at present in UK.

15. Writhedhornbill

Yes, I did see the drills. I smiled at them and they hit the glass. It was only when I had a look at the notice boards at Chester's mandrill enclousure that I realised that smiling was an insult.

Jeremy and Kata-kata moved to France in Late 2005. The went to Doue zoo. They have at least 10 times the amount of space than they had a Chester. There are 2 hectare paddocks and 2 smaller ones that are 1000 metres Squared.

On the Topic of Lion tails.... This info was written inlate 2004, so it's abit late now.
    There are 8 lion tails at Chester, they can be found near the entrace to the monkey house. The group consists of 2 males, one adult ( Jamal ) and one Junvenile(spoc). The rest are Females, 2 adults ( Reme and Tina),Two juveniles( Hubli and Tia ) And 2 babies born in Late 2003 (Nadu and Kitty

16. Pertinax

The Lion tailed Macaque group has had at least one more baby born since then, making nine. That baby has no tail, it was pulled off by the mother. There may have been some more babies since- but if they have changed the male, it may mean a temporary delay before there's another increase. Maybe you can find out next time you go there. All you need do is find out what the current male's name is...

Rhinos- yes it was Doue (la Fontaine) where both males went to- they have two pairs there now as far as I know.

When Mandrills bare their teeth and shake their heads from side to side, that's actually a friendly, or submissive gesture, as far as I know. I don't know about 'smiling' though.

17. Writhedhornbill

I don't spend That much time in the monkey house as I'm not THAT keen on them. I spend more of My time looking at the birds, the new elephant house and the Marmosets.

Chester has A large group of Geoffroy's Marmoset A female pied Tamarin, and a pair of Black lion tamarins, which I've heard have since bred.

18. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sammy is currently too young to breed. None of the other black rhinos are currently paired together.

Chester zoo has 5.3 mandrill and 4.9.2 lion-tailed macaque. A new male lion-tailed macaque arrived this year.

the breeding history of mandrill at Chester zoo is
    1937 1.0 reported to be the first captive birth, though there is some doubt.
    1967 1.0
    1999 1 unsexed, did not survive
    2000 2.0 one did not survive
    2001 2.0.1 two males did not survive
    2002 2 did not survive
    2003 0.1.1 one did not survive
    2004 1 did not survive
    2005 1.0
    2006 1.1 one female did not survive

the breeding history of lion-tailed macaque at Chester is
    1978 1.0
    1983 0.1
    1998 1.0 did not survive
    1999 0.1
    2000 1.0 did not survive
    2001 1.1
    2002 1.1.1 one male and one unsexed did not survive
    2003 0.2.1 one unsexed did not survive
    2004 1.0
    2005 1.1.1
    2006 0.1.1
    2007 1
    the gap between 1983 and 1998 is when Chester held surplus specimens for other zoos and no breeding was attempted

19. Writhedhornbill

Wow!! You know loads!! I read the post in the introductions section I plan to go about every three months. I need to start a new thread to ask you a question keep an eye out for it.

20. Pertinax

1. Do you know if black rhino 'Quinto' has been placed with a female at all since his return from Whipsnade?

2. The Lion tailed group has increased significantly since my last visit. Do you know from where the new male came?