Join our zoo community

Black Rhino Mixed Species Exhibit?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by lee456, 24 Dec 2010.

1. lee456

lee456 Well-Known Member

Ok. So we have had has {large african ungulate here} Ever been mixed with anyhting thread alot. I actually really enjoy them and now decided to start my own.

Hippo and Elephant:

http://www.zoochat.com/22/mix-species-exhibits-elephants-hippos-97686/

White Rhinos have almost becomea staple of afican plains exhibits, yet blakc rhinos remains by themselves due to their aggression. Has any species been successfully mixed with Black Rhinos? Didn't they have them with Sacred Ibis at St. Louis?

2. KCZooFan

KCZooFan Well-Known Member

Yes they are mixed with sacred ibis at St. Louis, but I don't think birds are a problem, just large mammals such as hoofstock.

3. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

4. lee456

lee456 Well-Known Member

You sir are a diamind. Cheers devil fish!

5. lee456

lee456 Well-Known Member

6. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

Thanks, I think that's what I was looking for. :)

7. lee456

lee456 Well-Known Member

In some read the linked thread anybody who stumbles on to this one it describes various mixings includong Port Lympnes Black Rhinos on the African Experience and SDZWAP Attempts to intergrate thieir Black Rhinos in to their large paddocks :)

8. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I wanted to keep them with Rothschild giraffe and Grevy's zebra in an 'Africa in Danger' exhibit, focusing on species that are listed by the IUCN redlist as 'Endangered' or 'Critically endangered.' If they were available in captivity as well, I would like to add Giant sable antelope :D

Sarus Crane likes this.
  9. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Ree Park in Denmark actually kept 1.0 black rhino in their savanna exhibit with gnus, zebras, ostriches, giraffes, lechwes, elands, blackbucks (yes, I know it's geographically wrong :p) and probably a few others. It didn't work, but here it actually wasn't due to the rhino's aggression, but because of some of the other animals, especially gnus and zebras, scaring it. At least it's what they said in the news, Ree Park doesn't mention anything on their website. Currently, it's off-show, but I think there are plans to make a public path to its new exhibit.
    And even more interesting - the savanna is a drive-through exhibit (not with own car, but with the zoo's special Land Rover), which means that many people has had the unique chance to get up really close with the rhino. :D

10. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

To exhibit black rhino in close proximity to other species is a bit over-ambitious I think.

Do they now wish to make the black rhino into a separate exhibit? :confused:

11. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, I think so.

12. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just to bring this thread back up again

Recently
    The San Diego Zoo Safari Park in an episode of the Zoo: San Diego now has a black rhino named Aria in the Central Africa Multi-Species Exhibit.

and Kendi from Cincinnati Zoo, will join in either in the Central Africa Field Exhibit or the South Africa Field Exhibit next door.

Can someone please give me a brief history of black rhinos in the Safari Park and how the black rhinos are placed in multi species in other zoos over the years?

P.S.
    Aria is a South-Central Black Rhinoceros
    and Kendi is an Eastern Black Rhinoceros

13. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don't know much on the history of Black Rhinos at SDZ Safari Park, but I do know that there has been the odd Black Rhino in their field exhibits for at least a few years now. I believe the park has always had the species, although I don't know if by themselves or mixed with other species in the past.

14. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This may sound strange but I think bustards would be a good mix with black rhinos

15. HungarianBison

HungarianBison Well-Known Member

The Leipzig Zoo keep its Black rhinos with Hussar monkeys and Cheetahs.