Join our zoo community

Black tiger born !

Discussion in 'India' started by vogelcommando, 30 Jul 2014.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

the text from vogelcommando's link above is as follows (and there is a photo from CCTV on that link):
    Here is also a thread about another (partly-)black tiger cub in an Indian zoo: http://www.zoochat.com/254/more-black-than-white-tiger-171098/

3. Chlidonias

Last edited: 8 Sep 2014
  4. Elephas Maximus

Elephas Maximus Well-Known Member

The cub at 2nd link is a leopard, with those obvious spots & long tail, while one at 1st link seems to be a real tiger :)

5. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

Somebody needs to make sure that cub is placed as far way from its parents and siblings as possible. Otherwise I foresee terrible temptations looming!

6. Chlidonias

d'oh! You're quite right! I thought the white tiger beside it was the mother but looking again it is obviously a cub as well.

The original story is true though. In the article which vogelcommando posted the photo at the time was a still from CCTV footage when the cub was newly-born (it was suckling at the mother; the photo can still be found in google searches) but it has since been changed to one of the cub when it was older. It isn't fully black, but very unusual looking.

7. Elephas Maximus

8. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There is no photo, just a blank space where a photo should be. The second photo lower down is a melanistic leopard cub as stated previously. Google searches (both standard text search and image search) reveal nothing. I will believe when I see it (and I doubt I will see it), but I suspect it is the same thing I mentioned in the other thread - a case of abundism, not true melanism.

9. Elephas Maximus

Pic from the FIRST link.
    [​IMG]

10. Chlidonias

hmm, you know what? I'm suspecting this story actually IS fake after all!

The photo now on the article in vogelcommando's initial post (and pictured above by Elephas Maximus) is NOT the cub said to have been born at the Nandankanan Zoo in July. In fact it is the cub born at Vandalur Zoo in 2010! (I found the same photo from sites three years old, and see also the other thread here about the Vandalur cub: more black than white tiger).

The photo initially used in the article vogelcommando linked to was a still from CCTV footage and can be seen here: Nandankanan zoo in Odisha releases video footage of black tiger cub

It's pretty impossible to see anything useful in the shot (the black cub is helpfully circled in red) but I can't help but think that the photo I found earlier in an article which turned out to be a black leopard cub (embarrassingly!) - see post #3 - actually is that same cub. In other words I think they fostered a black leopard cub into a white tiger's litter for, presumably, publicity purposes.

What do others think?

11. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As I said, I will believe it when I see it.