Join our zoo community

Black tree-kangaroo

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Enzo, 14 Oct 2023.

1. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Hello. I would like to know which zoos around the world have kept black/ursine tree-kangaroos (Dendrolagus ursinus). Thanks to Zootierliste, I have a lot of information about the species in Europe, but I still need to know where it was kept in the Americas, Asia and Oceania.

Among the zoos outside Europe that I know have held ursine tree-kangaroos are Philadelphia and, perhaps, Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo.

Thanks in advance!

Corbett477, JurassicMax and Kalaw like this.
  2. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Tennoji zoo in Osaka Japan has kept ursine tree kangaroos at 1965. Here’s a zoo newsletter from August 1965 showing the species.

upload_2023-10-14_21-17-15.jpeg

Veno, Bengal Tiger, Osedax and 5 others like this.
  3. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

TinoPup likes this.
  4. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Taking into account the information I took from Brazilian newspapers:

- May 1972: in a shipment of thirty-five animals, the first confirmed tree-kangaroo in Brazil arrived at the São Paulo zoo. Its species was not stated, but I believe it was Dendrolagus ursinus.

Jornal do Brasil (RJ) - 1970 a 1979 - DocReader Web

- Between May 1972 and October 1975: another specimen of tree-kangaroo arrived in the country, also sent to São Paulo.

- October 6, 1975: both animals are sent to RioZoo.

- August 1, 1977: for the first time, the couple's first joey, a female, put her paws out of her mom's pouch.

- July 6, 1978: it was announced RioZoo's female had another joey. The new baby was expected to completely leave the marsupium in August.

O Fluminense (RJ) - 1970 a 1979 - DocReader Web

[​IMG]

Picture by Jorge Peter, taken in 1978 at RioZoo.

*I'm not really sure of which species the animals on the picture are, but the mother looks like a grizzled tree-kangaroo, which means the joey could be a hybrid between Dendrolagus inustus and Dendrolagus ursinus.*

Fotos resgatam alegria do público no Jardim Zoológico do Rio, apesar de histórico de problemas | Blog do Acervo - O Globo

- June 1980: another tree-kangaroo was born in Rio, this time a female.

A Luta Democratica : Um jornal de luta feito por homens que lutam pelos que não podem lutar (RJ) - 1954 a 1987 - DocReader Web

- July 1981: a tree-kangaroo from RioZoo was sent to the Glória marina to be part of Riotur advertising.

Jornal do Brasil (RJ) - 1980 a 1989 - DocReader Web

*If you take a closer look at the picture shown on the newspaper, you will realize the animal does look a lot like a black tree-kangaroo.*

- Unknown date, 1981: according to the CITES Trade Database, an ursine tree-kangaroo was shipped from Brazil to Italy.

CITES Trade Database

- February 1982: another baby kangaroo, a female, saw the world for the first time. The sire, as the report below says, was relocated back to São Paulo.

Jornal da Orla (SP) - 1973 a 2015 - DocReader Web
    Jornal da Orla (SP) - 1973 a 2015 - DocReader Web

- 1991: from an announcement made by Jornal do Brasil, it is guaranteed that, until at least the 1990s, tree-kangaroos were held by RioZoo

Tribuna da Imprensa (RJ) - 1980 a 1989 - DocReader Web
    Jornal do Brasil (RJ) - 1990 a 1999 - DocReader Web

Last edited: 14 Oct 2023
    TinoPup likes this.
  5. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have nothing to add, but fantastic job researching!

Enzo likes this.
  6. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Thank you... Doing research about zoos has been my cup of tea since I was fourteen.

Wisp O' Mist likes this.
  7. PossumRoach

I’m sorry, I wasn’t able to find anything since I usually find things about Japan through copy pasting, as embarrassing as it sounds, and I was not able to find anything.

It is quite interesting to see Brazil’s experience with tree kangaroos. It would have been great if the success lasted longer or if the ursine tree kangaroo was able to be established elsewhere as well but I still won’t dismiss the information you brought up. I’d be proud if my home country was able to have such a fine record with tree kangaroos.

Enzo likes this.
  8. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Oh, don't be worried, chap. I believe Brazil and Turkey are both on the same boat, as we've lost many species recently. At least you guys have nyalas... Our last one died in Rio almost a decade ago.

PossumRoach likes this.
  9. PossumRoach

I don’t even think Turkey went as far in species diversity as Brazil (excluding native species) in the first place but that’s probably a discussion for another day and another thread.

Enzo likes this.
  10. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

The New York Zoological Society Bulletin for January 1914 reports that the zoo has aquired a black tree kangaroo Dendrolagus ursinus from Carl Hagenbeck. (This was the first tree kangaroo, of any species, exhibited there.)

Wisp O' Mist and Enzo like this.
  11. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Hello, Tim. Very interesting indeed. I remember you posted on another thread about a black tree-kangaroo being born in London, is it correct?

Wisp O' Mist likes this.
  12. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Yes S. S. Flower (1929) recorded that a black (ursine) tree kangaroo was born at London Zoo on 10th April 1912; sadly it only lived for nine weeks.

Wisp O' Mist and Enzo like this.
  13. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Hello. I need help to identify the species of the kangaroos shown in a picture on the report below:
    Realidade (SP) - 1966 a 1976 - DocReader Web

I'm quite sure the female is a grizzled tree-kangaroo. Not sure about the male, though.

14. Zz123

Zz123 Well-Known Member

private zoo in thailand

upload_2024-1-9_8-9-7.png

Sicarius and Enzo like this.