Join our zoo community

Blackbrook Zoo (Closed) Blackbrook Zoo 2009

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Richie Hell, 6 Apr 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richie Hell

Richie Hell Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I notice a few new photos of construction work in the gallery, any word on what these are all for?

2. ornithom

ornithom Member

Additional info about Blackbrook birds

Hi All,

I've just discovered this site, and have spent the last 2 hours reading all your posts!! Lol.

Just thought I'd mention that having been to Blackbrook about 7 times (and absolutely love the place, by the way!) I notice that no-one seems to have mentioned the Scaly-sided Mergansers. I saw at least 4 there in October last year. I'm not sure whether any other zoo has them but I've certainly not seem them in any other collection before!

Looking through the list of birds kept, it really is an impressive list and testament to the good husbandry and knowledge of the keepers etc (and the money pumped into the zoo!) that such a huge number of species is kept. I'm thinking particularly about the wildfowl section, nearly every species is present, and most of the recognised subspecies too!

Me and my son come on an annual basis and every time there is new stuff to see, I think the best additions so far are the lemurs and the penguin enclosure.

3. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Scaly-sided Mergansers were mentioned in an earlier post as Chinese Mergansers.

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

there are also photos of them in the gallery

5. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

Visited today for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed the place.

Just one question though, what is being built behind the cafe and flamingo aviary?

6. bloodycurtus

bloodycurtus Well-Known Member

currently just a temporary exhibit for reindeer that were having for november/december

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.