Join our zoo community

Blackfish

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by snowleopard, 4 Jun 2013.

1. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I haven't seen the movie myself, and have little plan to. I've never been to SeaWorld or seen an Orca, so I can't form much of an opinion. I definitely think SeaWorld should focus less on performances and more on actual conservation and education. All that said, I also don't think SeaWorld's example should be shown on the general idea of keeping captive Orcas.

2. FWC

FWC Well-Known Member

I am rather unfond of blackfish. This is a movie set out to manipulate peoples feelings to fill an agenda. Also before others ask, yes, I have watched the entire movie.

The film contradicts its self, and it also lies. According to its highly "refined" genealogy map, Tilikum has bred with his SON Taku to produce offspring.

One can also refer to the following article, written by one of the ex-trainers in the film :

Untitled ? "Blackfish"- A Movement Going Where?

JT likes this.
  3. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

4. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

5. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

6. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

7. Elephas Maximus

Elephas Maximus Well-Known Member

Has anyone noted humpback whale sounds at the beginning of trailer? :)

8. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've been on Instagram for a majority of the day educating misinformed Blackfish fans about why these whales can't be freed. And I'm wondering if these people believe that if SeaWorld does somehow shut down, the orcas automatically will be put back into the wild. What they don't realize is that they would just be transferred to another marine park.

I also figured out the whale on the main promoting movie poster is a photoshopped symmetrical image of Keiko, who ironically did quite well in captivity (at least in Oregon).

9. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

What has become of Keiko's pool in Oregan? Do they still rescue marine mammals or has it been drained?

10. Moebelle

11. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

How misguided some of these folks are is exemplified by the naming of the film Blackfish. For goodness sake we are talking of a mammalian - whale species here!

The downside being is that its commercial success will somehow make believe people that freeing captive whales is a sensible operation. This to me is tantamount to a criminal act in itself.

What I would like to see is the captive conditions for large whale species like orcas and belugas improved in terms of both size and having better breeding facilities.

The whales in SeaWorlds to my mind have done more good for whale conservation than these antis have ever bloody accomplished in their effective lifetimes.

I also do question whether whale safaris and the way in which these are conducted (and number of) are anything like sustainable (and tenable) and beneficial to whale species in our Oceans per se!???

Birdsage likes this.
  13. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

Blackfish is an old name for Killer Whales. I guess they wanted something distinctive and sinister.

Search for Orca and Killer Whale and you'll get links to websites about them, search Blackfish it will be about this film and the Game of Thrones character.

14. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

15. Moebelle

16. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

17. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

18. azcheetah2

azcheetah2 Well-Known Member

Several former trainers involved in the movie are coming forward to say they were lied to about what the movie was going to be about. They're saying they likely would not have gotten involved if they'd known the true reason for the movie.

19. azcheetah2

azcheetah2 Well-Known Member

Which should speak volumes. The official film site is stating gross inaccuracies and people are choosing to believe it. "It must be true because it's a documentary..."

I don't care if people see the movie then go to the park and form their own opinions about Sea World and whether what Blackfish is saying is true or not...but don't only watch the movie and take it at face value and just think what's being said is true. That's both ignorant and idiotic.

20. Moebelle

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017