Join our zoo community

Blackpool Zoo Blackpool Tigers

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Mike11, 1 Jan 2009.

1. Mike11

Mike11 Well-Known Member

Does anybody know the situation of Blackpool's Tigers i know when i last visited in 2006 they had Sheya - female and Jagasar - Male both Siberian/Amur Tigers. I know since then then Sheya has passed away i presume from old age as they were both rather old.Any news on jagasar? any new tigers?
    Any info would be great

2. Paulkarli08

Paulkarli08 Well-Known Member

I presume as he is an old animal (exact age i'm unsure about) that he will just live out his days on his own. It might be too much stress to bring in another animal at this stage. When he dies, i presume he would be replaced, most probably with another Amur pair?

3. Mike11

Mike11 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info from the notes i made from my last visit it says he was born in 1992 and sheya in 1991 so he would be 17 now so pretty good age for an Amur tiger. Does anybody know what the new enclosure is like? as they have switched ends for the lions to be part of the African Section with Giraffes about 2 years or so ago.

4. taun

taun Well-Known Member

ISIS still list Blackpool Zoo as having 1.0 Amur Tigers, so I would gather that is him.

They certainly only had one tiger there when I visited in November. The enclosure was quite nice, however I gather they only redid the outdoor enclosure as the indoor areas are very dated.

5. Mike11

Mike11 Well-Known Member

Thanks what species do you think they will get after he dies? Amur? they are easier to get then Sumatran and are generaly of better temperament and being bred very well at the moment with Howletts,Port Lympne,Banham and possibly Linton again in the Summer.By the time Jagasar sadly passes away any of these will be within Pairing age.

6. taun

taun Well-Known Member

They are easier to acquire, However there numbers are at capacity at the moment in the EEP, that is why many are switching to Sumatran Tigers.

Chester did this when there Amur finally passed away.

7. Mike11

Mike11 Well-Known Member

Yes but do you think Blackpool what have the Experiance to hold a new species it would mean having to do something with their dated indoor house. Do you think they could hold a group of non-Breeding Siberians?. How big is the Lion Enclosure is it big enough to hold of group of breeding lions? as they have 3 if all were breeding you could have alot of cubs.
    Thanks for any info

8. taun

taun Well-Known Member

The Lion enclosure is a decent outdoor size, see link http://www.zoochat.com/192/lion-enclosure-37867/

I would be surprised if they let all 3 become pregnant, I would imagine one or two would be placed on concepetion. The indoor housing from what I could see only has 3 dens, meaning you would only want one female pregnant. So they could still seperate the Male lion from the females.

9. Mike11

Mike11 Well-Known Member

Thanks for that picture it seems a good size and yes i would imagine they would use contraceptive on atleast one of the females. Do you think Chesters Kepala could take up residence when Jagasar passes away as a new female from Paignton has joined Him at chester but they are related so hes moving and a new Male is coming.Maybe an elderly Amur pair could come in and the other zoo maybe more experianced could take up Sumatrans instead of Blackpool?

10. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

Does anybody have any old photographs on the Amur Tigers,or any information I read on the website in 2006 that there was only one Tiger which was Sheya and she had cubs any news?I also visited in 2006 when the revamp of the outdoor facilities for both the Lions and Tigers so which Tiger would have been at Blackpool then?
    Sorry for bringing up an old thread I'm curious:D