Join our zoo community

Blackpool Zoo Blackpool Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Zooreviewsuk, 2 Jan 2018.

1. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

A Bactrian camel born on 23 April has been named Prince Louis. A step up from naming their orang after Cherie Blair :p

2. NigeW

NigeW Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Its shame the orang wasn't named Prince Louis. He could be king of the swingers one day. :)

3. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

I had no idea that was the inspiration behind the orangutan name! A very odd choice indeed!

Gigit likes this.
  4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The father of 'Cherie' and 'Summer' was originally called 'Zowie'-a link with David Bowie I think. They later renamed him 'Homer' presumably because the original name was dated. Unwise I think to give animals names of personalities, they are sometimes left with a name after its become dated.

5. agnmeln

I would personally much rather see names that have some kind of significance, meaning or cultural connection.

Gigit and Pertinax like this.
  6. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Suddenly Hamish the bear doesn't seem quite so bad!

I always preferred to think of the orang as 'Cherry' because a) cherries are red and b) its not Cherie Blair's name!

7. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Oh dear.

8. agnmeln

Agreed!

And I had always assumed it was ‘Sheree’.

Gigit likes this.
  9. Brownie

Brownie Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Noorjahan and Esha, the remaining Asian elephants from Twycross, have both now arrived at Blackpool.

10. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

0.1 Hartmann's zebra born, first mare born for a long time in the UK.

Nisha, Brum and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  11. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Elephants - I've just been to Dublin Zoo where bull, Upali, is now permanently separated from the herd as he's not needed for further breeding. He's being prepared for a move to Europe or the UK and although I didn't like to ask for further details, Dublin isn't far from Blackpool!

StoppableSan and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  12. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Having been unwell for the last few weeks my move to Aus has been delayed until March next year as have to undergo an operation soon :( but started to do some updated visits.

Had a pleasant trip to Blackpool Zoo today.]

The Elephants were all out today and were getting on well. the zoo apparently isn't ready for a Bull yet, as they haven't completed the Bull paddock yet, so a Bulls arrival is not imminent, but work has started on the Bull paddock.

Reptile house is being redesigned and upgraded, it's fully closed at present with the reptiles offshow for the time being.

Work is being done on the Tapir enclosure and they will be moving to another paddock at the zoo Shortly, whilst their exhibit gets the work it needs doing done, and they will then move back once completed. They are likely to go in one of the paddocks near the Lama's.

There was a baby King Colobus Monkey, probably a few months old now but still very close to it's mother.

The baby Gibbon, now about 6 months old is very playful !

The Baby Zebra who is only three weeks old is on the hard standing with it's mother, and she's very protective of it, not meeting any of the other two Zebra's kindly when they come to the fence, Foal looks to be doing well and is very cute.

Roof being repaired on one of the old Aircraft Hanger's next to the Childrens Play Zone, whether in time this is going to be created into an exhibit I don't know, but building work is ongoing on it.

Camel House is currently being renovated and they are in the Old Elephant exhibit, initial plans are to aim to get Greater One Horned Rhino at some stage to go where the Old Elephant house was, but that will be some time off yet.

Got some nice photo's which I'll upload over the next 24 hours when get chance.

Brum, Benosaurus and migdog like this.
  13. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It won't be a new exhibit in the hanger :)

14. Zooreviewsuk

That would imply you know what it will be though and are not going to say. Haha

15. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It might ;) Sorry, I just don't know if I'm allowed :)

16. Zooreviewsuk

Boooooo :)

Hope it's not another kids play area, I'm getting too old for them lol.

TNT likes this.
  17. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Zambar, the male Amur tiger, has passed away.

He arrived in Blackpool in 2010 after being born and hand reared in Marwell Zoo in 2004. He was joined by Alyona in 2012 and they became parents to Barney and Radzi in 2014. Alyona is being closely monitored by her keepers.

Blackpool Zoo

18. Zooreviewsuk

Had another little trip to Blackpool today.

Got some lovely photo's of the baby Gorilla, who is very playful.

The Tapir's have been moved to the Vicuna paddock opposite the Llama. The Tapir house is being repaired and it remains empty.

Female Tiger appears to be adjusting to life on her own well.

The Zoo, are likely to now focus on a redesign and improvements on the big cats section ahead of the Elephant house now. Whether this will become a one big exhibit for one species of big cat, they didn't know yet, but their next main project will now be improving the big cats housing and exhibit.

Was very busy today which is always nice to see, with it being half term in Scotland and the jocks descending on Blackpool in their droves.

Was a nice sunny day as well.

Kate is showing an interest in the other Elephants through the bars of the inside part of the exhibit.

Blackpool will not be creating a Bull Elephant paddock, their plan is to have a Bull in the house and so he will be gradually introduced into to the females, they need a bull who is of the right temperament as two of the Cows will have never seen a bull before, and Kate is old now. However they are looking long term to have it integrated like a natural herd so the Bull will have access to the same paddocks as the cows, and housing and they will live together not separately. They have put no time scale on when they are getting a Bull and it will be a case of when they are happy with the females and right male is available to them, but the plan is to have them as an integrated herd not a separate one.

Reptile house still remains closed.

Baby Zebra and Mum were indoors today and another Zebra was a bit lame, and also kept indoors. It probably had got a kick from something but the keepers were aware.

19. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I presume Kate has been seperated again from the others since the last two Elephants arrived from Twycross?

By my reckoning only one of the Twycross eles has ever seen a bull- that would be Minbu when she went to Chester to be mated and it was a long time ago now. (Noorjahan's calf Esha was concieved by AI) As to the bull, I think they will soon become accustomed to whatever male is eventually supplied/chosen. They can't know exactly how they will get along until it actually arrives though. I take it they have a seperate bull holding area already, if not plans for a seperate paddock?

20. Zooreviewsuk

The house is already completely Bull proof, as is the paddock.

Yes Kate is separated since Noorjahan and Esha (who is very cute) arrived.

The two older Cow's Minbu and Tara have seen a bull.

There are 3 sections to the house, The bull will start in the far section, and they will gradually introduce the cows to a Bull.

They are ready to take a Bull with the house and all that, but they wont until the girls are all happy together and the right Bull is sourced.

StoppableSan likes this.