Join our zoo community

Blackpool Zoo Blackpool Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Zooreviewsuk, 2 Jan 2018.

1. taun

taun Well-Known Member

I am sure they know what they are doing but you need a plan for keeping a male separately, so is there plan to keep him locked up in the house, if they need to keep him separately?

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  2. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

There is no separate paddock, but the grassland and hard standing can be separated, so they can close access to the grass from the sand paddock so to speak.
    But there plan is a fully integrated herd.

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Tara is one of the ones born at Twycross. I don't think she has seen a male has she?

4. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Good intentions but if they cannot it may become a problem, what then?

pipaluk likes this.
  5. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Either the bull will spend a lot of time locked indoors or they won't be able to keep a bull. If that happens then the cows will be back in the Twycross situation, which would be ironic given the excuses made for moving them in the first place!

6. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There's a small bull paddock next to the sand/pool paddock.

7. Pertinax

1. There is no bull paddock and one isn't planned. Only an indoor space.

2. There is a small bull paddock next to the sand/pool paddock.

3. They plan to build a bull paddock and won't get a bull until that has been done.

We've had all three statements made on here recently. Only one can be true. Which one is it?

8. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I haven't been following this thread, but 2) is correct.

On this plan of the zoo/exhibit, the bull paddock is the small square next to the sand paddock: blackpool zoo elephant enclosure - Google Search

It can be seen in the background of several photos on this link: The UK's largest indoor elephant house opens at Blackpool Zoo

pipaluk likes this.
  9. pipaluk

I've looked on Google maps and although the photo is before the exhibit was completed, there is clearly a small isolation yard at one end of the house with what appears to be strong fencing.

10. pipaluk

11. Pertinax

So I presume this statement means they aren't doing any more building in the Elephant house for the forthcoming bull? The set-up will be like Chester or most Zoos where there's a small outdoor holding area (already there)for the bull, or he lives in the main paddock with the females. Its the term 'paddock' that is rather confusing here...am I right in saying the Blackpool Elephant house/enclosures are as complete as they will ever be now?

12. pipaluk

Although I can't be certain, it would appear your assessment is correct. They do have a 'bull paddock', but are hoping not to have to use it as such! Time will tell obviously

Pertinax likes this.
  13. Pertinax

So the only delay on them getting a bull is over the selection of the suitable one plus when they feel the females are ready, its not a construction issue.

14. Zooreviewsuk

Yes.

They will not house a Bull, UNTIL all the cows are happy together and the right Bull can be sourced. From what has been said by the Zoo at member days and VIP tours, I doubt the Elephant coming to Blackpool will be the one from Dublin, if plans are already in place for that Bull to be on the move, as Blackpool will be some months off having a Bull.

The Bull paddock is a small square on dirt/sand. He won't have access to the Grassland until they are all fully integrated. The option is there for him to have Grassland access and the females indoors and in the sand/pool area but Blackpool very much hope to in time, have a Bull with the females at all times and fully integrated.

Pertinax likes this.
  15. Zooreviewsuk

Yes they are complete.

Blackpool are now looking to Plan a Big Cats exhibit Development which will be the next big task, which will now be brought forward ahead of the work on the old Elephant house, which will be developed to house Rhino at some point in the future. But the Big Cats is currently seen as the priority.

Pertinax likes this.
  16. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Will this be new enclosures or refurbs of the existing enclosures, would i be correct it is Amur tiger and lions kept?

17. Pertinax

Thankyou for the clarifications. I think updating or new big cat enclosures, particularly inside, is definately a priority now.

Thankyou for the clarifications.

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Oct 2018
  18. Zooreviewsuk

They currently keep Amur Tigers (1 9yo female) and 2 African Lions (father and son).

I don't know if it's new exhibits, or refurbs, of if they plan to keep both sets of Big Cats, or change to having just the one species.

19. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

As the person responsible for the Upali rumours, I should say that I don't know how far advanced the plans are for his move from Dublin. The keeper said he'd been separated permanently from the herd for a move to Europe or the UK. As these things are usually delicate, I didn't push for details, but my first thought was 'Blackpool!' Reading the comments above, I feel it could still be him as he's used to being in a herd and is obviously very successful.

20. woody505

woody505 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

kate is now living in the bull enclosure. somebody broke the fence so none of them are venturing out, maintenance where still on the job when I left.