Join our zoo community

Blackpool Zoo Blackpool Zoo News 2013

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Pertinax, 8 Jan 2013.

1. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

Blackpool now only have 2.1 Hartmann's Mountain zebras. The breeding male, the female who originally bred Blackpool's first foal and the son of the female who has just died.

A couple of snippets from a visit today;

The Gorilla born in November has been sexed as a male. The other born three years ago was a female.

Two new species are on-show in the Reptile/Elephant house. A single Cane Toad and Iberian sharp ribbed Newt.

The other species on-show are Red-billed Pintail which are in the Aviary near the Rhea/llama.

2. TARZAN

TARZAN Well-Known Member

Six bongo there yesterday, something I like about this zoo is that they keep certain groups of animals in quite large numbers, as well as six bongo, six Bactrian camels, a large herd of reindeer etc. Looking around Blackpool yesterday I must say it is very good shape, trees that were planted there when the zoo first opened in the early seventies have now matured and a lot of the enclosures that were built in its infancy are wearing well, still look quite modern, of course several have been modernised, eg, the lion and tiger house and also the cafeteria, new wolf enclosure looks good with its walkway. Perhaps, to a certain extent Blackpool Zoo is under rated, this possibly could have something to do with the town that it is in, i.e. a town associated with bingo, amusement arcades, drinking etc, some would not think that a town like this could have such a good zoo, albeit a bit too A.B.C. for the serious zoo enthusiast, I have always enjoyed my visits to this zoo from its early days and I would say yesterday's visit was one of the most pleasurable of all.

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

When it first opened, the Zoo was very much a small traditional collection of ABC animals for the tourists in a tourist town. It was started, I believe, by the council, one of very few UK zoos that are/were council-owned( I think Newquay was another at that time) though its had several ownership changes since. Over the years Blackpool Zoo has developed quite nicely in many respects and now has a very interesting collection though for the enthusiast it is sadly still overshadowed a bit by its 'Zoo neighbour'- Chester.

4. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

5. woody505

woody505 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

just got back from blackpool zoo. Doesn't look like they've made any progress on the orangutan house in months have they run out of money? All the leaflets saying completition by summer 2013! Was surprised gorilla island wasn't open today was a really nice day.

6. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

From what I have heard the builders have gone bust,and the zoo now has to wait until what has been built is valued at for compensation,before work can re-start!

7. woody505

woody505 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There was a radio on behind the no access door in the gorilla house which connects to the building site. Something is happening anyway

8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What has happened with the giraffe at Blackpool?
    Just four individuals now ...!

9. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

Yup, 0.4 hybrids. I think one died last year and the other at Christmas 2011.

10. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sorry, to hear that! For the record: which individuals died exactly?