Join our zoo community

Blackpool Zoo Blackpool Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Zooreviewsuk, 2 Jan 2018.

1. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Yup definitely born after my last visit. Gonna give it 2 to 3 weeks for Tara to settle in and a couple more Elephants to arrive and will head back again and try and get some photo's.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Twycross are saying it may be several weeks yet before the other Elephants arrive. I'm surprised they told you at Blackpool they won't get a bull while Kate is still alive- she might live many years yet and the whole concept for their improved welfare is to have a group complete with a bull- that's the overall reason Twycross say they have allowed them to leave. So this statement very much undermines that approach. Tara is already twenty so she should have been breeding already and even now its risky for a first(?) birth. She really needs to breed now. I think maybe while they won't get one immediately that the time frame may turn out to be rather different from what you were told i.e. when somewhere else wants to move a bull....

Last edited: 3 Feb 2018
    pipaluk likes this.
  3. Zooreviewsuk

I think they were conscious of Kate having been alone for a while and her age. I expect Kate will probably move on to a new collection or sanctuary when the new herd are settled before a Bull is added.

Thanks for letting me know it may be several weeks. I don't know if Tara has access to the paddocks at present or just the house, but Kate has access to the paddock and house.

Not long before Xmas members got a tour of the house before Kate had moved over and they said then the adding of the Elephant herd and a Bull wouldn't be straight away.

They said at this members evening they would be reluctant to introduce a Bull whilst Kate was there.

4. Pertinax

Of course they are saying these things in advance of the actual setting up of the group so it may be the plan as they see it now. But I suspect things may change over time. They often do.. I can see why they may be concerned about Kate but equally other older Elephants have accepted a bull having never seen one before( e.g. at Chester.) A pity if they move her later I think.

5. JoeDK14

JoeDK14 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Would it not be suitable to move Kate to longleat to live with Anne

6. Pertinax

That's a possibility too. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

The two zoos seem to be treating this move from rather different angles. Twycross keep telling their FB members the Elephants are leaving 'so they can be with an adult bull which is vital for their welfare'. Blackpool on the other hand imply that is not going to happen anytime soon... some lack of co-ordination here?

Last edited by a moderator: 18 Feb 2018
    pipaluk and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  7. Zooreviewsuk

Or Blackpool are trying to be practical and Twycross are just trying to keep face, having lost yet another crowd puller.

I wonder what they will be using the current Elephant house and paddock for ?

8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I do not think TWZ is putting on a brave face or anything. I do think it is they tell it like it is: to a location with breeding and a bull facility in mind.

Blackpool seem to be diddering as I really do think the EEP does not take kindly to any reneging: it is everywhere … either breeding and bull facility or elderlies or bachelors only. The TWZ herd breeding potential has been played around with for far too long already and quite a few good chances of elephant calves have been lost over the years, so this move for the EEP demands results and within the next 2-3 years. Blackpool have known all along their elderly female might not mix well …, but postponing getting a bull on site does not make any sense now.

Pertinax likes this.
  9. Pertinax

I agree KB, I think EEP will designate a bull which will arrive at Blackpool in due course and before not too long. Enough breeding potential from these Twycross females has been wasted already. Whether the old female Kate stays in the group remains to be seen- perhaps they will see if she is compatable with the others before making a decision on her.

I don't think Twycross would have been willing to part with them on any other condition- if there is no bull at Blackpool(for some time to come anyway) then they might as well just have stayed at Twycross...

People are already asking Twycross what will replace them in the enclosure and so far no clue. Rhino would be my best guess.

Last edited by a moderator: 18 Feb 2018
    TriUK, Kifaru Bwana and pipaluk like this.
  10. Pertinax

Interesting blog/story on the Blackpool website about the Elephant move. Tara and Kate are now together and getting along well. Kate is the dominant animal apparently. House still closed but may be seen outside if they go out.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. NigeW

NigeW Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was there yesterday, and although I didn't venture down to the new enclosure until mid afternoon, I didn't see an elephant out. But staff were advising that Kate may be visible outside from time to time during the day.

No wonder no elephants ventured out in that wind mind :)

12. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

When will the new elephant enclosure be fully open to the public?

13. Pertinax

I imagine not until the others have arrived from Twycross and settled in, unless the move is delayed so long they open it in the meantime, but they are scheduled to move all of them within a few weeks I think.

14. Animallover1998

Animallover1998 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think they would probably announce it on their website as well as Facebook/Instagram/Twitter as soon as the exhibit has officially opened to the public.

I'm assuming the rest of the Twycross elephants won't arrive at Blackpool until maybe the end of March this year, but who knows....

15. agnmeln

Thanks for that. I’m hoping to visit in March (sometime between 19th - 23rd) and it would be really nice if I were able to see it at this time.

16. Pertinax

I don't know when Easter falls this year but they will probably try to have it open then if its at all possible for them(i.e. depending on the Elephant situation)

17. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Easter Sunday falls on April Fools Day this year, which had me considering trying to create square novelty eggs .... I'm sure someone has already done this though.

Swampy likes this.
  18. JoeDK14

JoeDK14 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Do Blackpool have any plans to renovate/improve the cat house or bring in any new cat species

19. Animallover1998

Animallover1998 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Not that I have heard of I don't think, although it would be nice to see at least another species of Cat at Blackpool instead of just the usual Tigers & Lions.

Cheetahs or Servals would be a nice addition IMO :)

20. agnmeln

Yes, this would make good sense. I hope they’ll be ready by then.