Join our zoo community

Blackpool Zoo Blackpool Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Pertinax, 18 Jan 2019.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Does anyone know the current situation with the Elephants- is Kate still seperated from the other four?

2. Pertinax

Orangutan 'Vicky' has died.

3. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Very sad

4. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Poor old soul. Airsaculitis is a horrible condition for orangs :(

5. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Jambo likes this.
  6. Pertinax

Revisited here yesterday. The ex Twycross elephants looked very settled in their new home. Kate is still seperated, she got along fine with the first two that arrived (Tara and Minbu), but not with the whole group of 4. They are going to try to familiarise them again over the coming weeks. A bull is still being sourced via EEP (as above) but could be months off yet. Even if Kate cannot be integrated with the others, they can still accomodate a male, though it will be less easy. (There is a seperate smaller sand yard for the bull obviously but which Kate is currently using). Typical modern elephant encIosure but I wish they didn't have the loud Indian music blaring from loudspeakers on the walk-up.

Elsewhere; female Orangutans all invisible. Young female gorilla 'Meisie' is approaching adult size now- possibly EEP already have a new home earmarked for her in due course...Hartmann's zebra filly foal (a rarity in the UK nowadays) looked well grown. Wolves very active and rather agitated due to men working on nearby roof. De Brazza monkeys(2 babies) and Black Colobus groups both currently number 8 each. Lots of Red Titis and Emperor Tamarins.

Blackpool Zoo may be Chester's 'poor relation' but it has nearly all the ABC animals bar Rhino or Hippo and an interesting collection, plus its smaller size means its easy to see everything in a day or even half a day's visit.

Pootle, StoppableSan and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  7. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

That's a shame. It would have been interesting to know how they're getting on since Vicky's death and whether Ramon has become more dominant.

8. Pertinax

I couldn't actually figure out where the three females could be...each time I have been Ramon is sitting by the glass interacting with people, I am sure he is very human-fixated (that's not to say he doesn't mate however, I don't actually know.)

Gigit likes this.
  9. woody505

woody505 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Visited on Friday only saw Ramon and Jingga no sign of cherrie and summer. Kate's "bull" enclosure has been made bigger she now has fence down the middle of the main enclosure. Reptile house still closed and now Amazonia closed being changed too World of wings due for opening late spring. More restrictions around the lions been along time since you could walk all the way round can only get too first bench now. Songbird enclosure under construction and another one near finished but don't know what's going in there. Tree porcupines are in the old camel house.

StoppableSan likes this.
  10. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Brum and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  11. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

TNT, nczoofan and TriUK like this.
  12. Nathano

Nathano Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What's the current situation with the elephants at Blackpool - have they all been integrated yet?

13. woody505

woody505 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Visit today Kate still living in the bull enclosure. Another red titi monkey enclosure being built extension onto small primate house. World of wings has opened now not a bird person so can't tell what's changed from amazonia but squirell monkeys have been moved out.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  14. CDavies98

CDavies98 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Off to Blackpool Zoo tomorrow - is there anything notable I should look out for, what are the highlights of the collection etc??

15. katinakalinakaterina

katinakalinakaterina Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does anyone know what happened to Sonia, the giraffe that arrived in 2009 from Fota? As far as I am aware she was still living at the zoo in 2015 when Tiye, Olympia and Eve arrived from Marwell but beyond that I can't find any information on her. Has she died or been moved to another collection, or is she still living at the zoo?

16. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Unless any deaths have occurred there should be 0:4

Sonia dob1998
    O'Grady dob 2009
    Tiye dob 2008 Marwell
    Olympia dob 2012 Marwell

17. katinakalinakaterina

katinakalinakaterina Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have the four as:
    Tiye (2008) (Marwell)
    O'Grady/Lily (2009) (Blackpool)
    Eve (2012) (Belfast)
    Olympia (2012) (Marwell)

An article from 2015 when Tiye, Eve and Olympia arrived said they would be joining Sonia and O'Grady but there is no mention of Sonia after this. I am pretty sure there were only four the last time I visited which would have been in the last five years. Sonia was born in 1998, at Fota I believe, so could have died as it is unlikely she would have been moved on.

18. Themonkeyguy1

Themonkeyguy1 Well-Known Member

Sonia died in 2015.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  19. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Shame so that only leaves O'Grady from the original batch that came over from Ireland.

20. OstrichMania

OstrichMania Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Rainbow Landings has officially opened, and it is between the Waders and Waddlers and the Aardvark exhibit. It houses Rainbow Lorikeets in a walk-through area with the opportunity to feed them.