Join our zoo community

Blackpool Zoo Blackpool Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Pertinax, 18 Jan 2019.

1. Dylan

Dylan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thank goodness they redeveloped the lorikeets enclosure because it was terrible previously

2. redstarsmith

redstarsmith Well-Known Member

A few review points about our family visit this week.

The Elephant Base Camp is excellent and far better than the old accommodation but for me the long walk up to the house wasn’t worth it without additional species on display.

It has a really solid coverage of ABC animals. Real value for money for families. The Zoo is like the tardis and seems far bigger than it is. They have used the space well. Nice to see they have not developed on the football pitched size of grass off centre in the Zoo.

The cafe was absolutely rammed, and the front of the Zoo was a huge bottle neck with the amount of visitors. This was by far the busiest I’ve Ever seen Blackpool.

Most exhibits are tidy and suitable for the animals. The Orangutans and Sea Lions having stand out redevelopments. World of Wings is an improvement on Amazonia and suits birds over Monkeys. It is clear that the Big Cats need improved accommodation. Maybe they should merge and concentrate on one species or redevelop unused land to do justice to both.

There was far too many cash grabs for kids. I expect Zoos to try and make more money than just for the ticket but does Blackpool really need to put toddler rides in every unused corner. With my own toddler in tow it annoyed me that I had to upset him by not bankrupting our finances to allow him to go on every Fireman Sam water game or frog ride. I thought it was strategic, widespread and cynical placement over these rides.

The dinosaurs were excellent especially with the new animatronic additions. The plants and vegetation seem to have been really improved and what seems like a tired and neglected area five years was really good. My toddler really really liked and enjoyed this area.

So many positives and of course some negatives but I would take the family again and recommend it to other people. The Sunday year membership is a bargain as well and if I lived On the mainland would snap that up in a heart beat.

Elephantelephant and Brum like this.
  3. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Blackpool will receive a bull elephant by the end of this year.

Emmett is moving from Whipsnade, full statement can be found on Whipsnade thread.

TNT likes this.
  4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Finally!:):)

Gigit likes this.
  5. Pertinax

I recently heard that young 'male' gorilla 'Moanda' aged 5 has been re-sexed as female. Not sure if the zoo have announced this publicly but there may be a notice about it in the gorilla house.

pipaluk and Gigit like this.
  6. Zonkey18

Zonkey18 Member

Emmett, the bull elephant, arrived at Blackpool Zoo yesterday evening after the zoo closed

7. Jedd Cullinan

Jedd Cullinan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yesterday I checked on him on Facebook to see how he's getting on and he's doing very good although he will be off show for now until he got used to his new house, environment and smells after arriving from Whipsnade

Zonkey18 and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  8. Rosie183

Rosie183 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thank you :) will take time to adjust as he has been a whipsnade a very long time, even before the London zoo elephants joined the whipsnade current group,

9. Jedd Cullinan

Jedd Cullinan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

you're welcome and yes he did indeed

10. Giles

Giles New Member

He was on display to public today

11. Pertinax

Nice photo on Blackpool FB of bull Emmett in his outdoor yard, with a female in the background- on the other side of the fence. The cows(or some anyway) have been making good (protected) contact with him so it says. Whipsnade have so far not updated how his successor from Antwerp is doing.

12. Pertinax

Elephant update from Blackpool's FB. Bull Elephant Emmett has been mixed yesterday with all four of the ex Twycross females- but not Kate who appears to be held seperately at present. For the older Twycross females(and Kate) its the first bull they've seen in many years- or ever.