Join our zoo community

Rotterdam Zoo Blijdorp News 2022

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by JurassicMax, 4 Jan 2022.

1. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

The current tiger enclosure always strikes me as being relatively small and uninteresting with quite poor viewing possibilities so I can see why they’d consider moving them.

2. Blijdorpenaar

Blijdorpenaar Well-Known Member 5+ year member

-The association Friends of the Rotterdam Zoo (Vrienden van Blijdorp) will be spending 82.500 euros on modernising the vet clinic.
    -A bit of a tragedy with the bleeding heart baboons: a second young was born, but died after being 'stolen' by another female who couldnt give milk.
    -Rotterdam has taken in another beached seahorse, this time from Zeeuws-Vlaanderen. Together with the animals the zoo took in earlier theyll be returned to sea if possible.
    - The Bengal eagle-owls have layed some eggs, though they don't seem to bother keeping them warm. Same can't be said for the dalmatian pelicans, they are being enthousiastic as ever. First blackbuck birth of the year, its a female.
    -A new red panda male by the name of Miyuko has arrived from Pairi Daiza, he'll be paired up with Kwina. Fang-Pi will be sent to India, where any young she gets will be reintroduced into the wild. Right now the panda's are still not visible in their current enclosure (or the new one for that matter). The tufted deer probably won't return to their current enclosure, they'll go straight to the rock.
    -A new season of Dutch TV series 'The Real Life in the Zoo' is currently being produced in Rotterdam.

Kort Nieuws #175

3. Haliaeetus

Haliaeetus Well-Known Member

You talk really about a Seahorse?
    I didn't know that it was possible to rescue stranded small fish. But the Dutch may have very special skills...

Blijdorpenaar likes this.
  4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

First: do the enclosures work for the animals. You have glass window viewing into their indoor outside.

lintworm likes this.
  5. Shirokuma

I am not suggesting there are welfare issues. But zoo design is about more than purely utilitarian functionality. The viewing area is narrow and often crowded. It isn’t horrifically bad but I think it could be much better and don’t think zoos should stand still when there is the possibility of improving enclosures.

6. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

Recently the gender has been revealed, it's a male!

Source:
    Instagram of Diergaarde Blijdorp (19/03/2022) Login • Instagram

Blijdorpenaar and Haliaeetus like this.
  7. JurassicMax

Recently 2 Ring-tailed lemurs (Lemur catta) were born.

Source:
    Instagram of Diergaarde Blijdorp (16/03/2022) Login • Instagram

Haliaeetus likes this.
  8. JurassicMax

Yunha and Mr Gharial like this.
  9. Blijdorpenaar

-Two Mindanao bleeding-heart pigeons (Gallicolumba crinigera) are now on display in the Nature Conservation Center in the Oceanium, joining the yellow-throated laughingthrushes and bali mynahs and replacing the roulrouls. In a distant past the zoo had quite a lot of succes with this species
    -The Cape ground squirrels are back on display after a year. They have moved into the same enclosure as before, so thats the weaver aviary.
    -While the second gelada birth sadly resulted in death, number three is doing well. Same goes for the first ever ringtail lemur twins in Rotterdam.
    -A large 'insect hotel' has been placed at the entrance of the Bee Valley.
    -Some Cyprinodon longidorsalis and Allodontichthys polylepis, two fish species the Rotterdam Zoo has had breeding succes with, have moved to Aeres MBO Barneveld, a school with a zoo license. The former species is also on display in the Nature Conservation Center, fyi.
    -Black rhino Vungu is due to be transported to Leipzig.

Sauce + a lill' more: Kort Nieuws #176

10. JurassicMax

In March a male Michie's tufted deer (Elaphodus cephalophus michianus) was born, he was given the name Donghai. Mother of the young is "Michelle" and the father is "Peter".

Source:
    Instagram of Diergaarde Blijdorp (05/04/2022) https://www.instagram.com/p/Cb-hsYmKxF7/

Antoine, Haliaeetus and Mr Gharial like this.
  11. Mr Gharial

Mr Gharial Well-Known Member

A Rüppels vulture chick can be seen in the incubator near the Victoriaserre, it was hatched March 31st

Saw the new mountain enclosure. They seem to be as good as finished with the rock itself and are now focusing on the visitor area around it.

It would honestly be quite a waste if this was only used for Tufted deer and red pandas. There's huge ledges that seem to be perfect for Tahrs or Takins. Would be a shame if they rebuilt this beautiful exhibit on this scale and not have it have any mountain-goat-type animals.

Also: had a lot of luck using my zoo guides! (Insert shameless self-promotion here)

Last edited: 6 Apr 2022
  12. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi, Zoolex says that some yellow-throated spurfowl were mixed with geladas. Did this mix succeed? Did the spurfowl breed?

willem likes this.
  13. Mr Gharial

Mr Gharial Well-Known Member

Fairly certain it's a non-breeding group, but I did see them today! They have multiple groups. One group with cape ground squirrels, weavers and turacos. One group with Okapis and a bunch of other birds, and a bachelor group (I think) with the geladas

14. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

On April 5 a Vicuna was born at Blijdorp :) :

15. Blijdorpenaar

-The general meeting of the Friends of the Rotterdam Zoo (Vrienden van Blijdorp) took place, so far no news on future building projects.
    -Birth of a blackbuck. The young Ruppells vulture has been returned to its parents, there's also a young hooded vulture
    -Birth of another gelada baboon (thats four in total, three of which remain). The blue-winged geese have scootched over from the male baboons to the family group. One of the yellow-necked spurfowl that lived with the male baboons has moved to Germany
    -Death of one the lemur twins after a fall
    -A new path has opened, taking visitors from the polar bears behind the bison towards Amazonica. I must say I thought it was a total waste of a project, but they actually did it really nice. Stunning planting, decoration, sightlines and education. Coincidentally they happened to write a lot of veeery similar things to what I wrote on my website last year. And used the same pictures. Interesting o_O
    -Remarkable video surfaced showing one a young male sea lion jumping out of the basin. See for yourself -> https://fb.watch/cAPCpXo_1y/

Sauce and leftovers: Kort Nieuws #177

16. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sofar 5 Dalmatian pelicans have hatched this year :).

17. JurassicMax

On recommendation of the EEP male Eastern black rhinoceros (Diceros bicornis michaeli) Vungu, the father of the two young, will move to Zoo Leipzig.

Source:
    Instagram of Diergaarde Blijdorp (07/05/2022) https://www.instagram.com/p/CdOWVDFKfjl/

StoppableSan likes this.
  18. Blijdorpenaar

-Okapi Mhina (2019) will move to the UAE soon
    -So far three Rüppells vultures, one hooded vulture and two white-headed vultures have hatched! One Rüppells and one white-headed are being raised in Avifauna.
    -Large scale breeding succes with the grosbeak starlings in the Victoria Serre. The red-whiskered bulbuls have been moved out of their enclosure
    -Unfortunate death of the female crested oropendola. Not many remain in Europe...
    -The white-naped mangabeys that live together with the gorilla's have changed their indoor enclosure from the visitor hut to Nasibu's old spot
    -Births at the ringtail lemurs, Chilean pudus, bisons, blackbucks, Cape ground squirrels and forest reindeer
    -The new Mountain Rock will be completed somewhere this summer.

Sauce and seconds: Kort Nieuws #178

19. JurassicMax

Last week a male Eurasian forest reindeer (Rangifer tarandus fennicus) was born.

Source:
    Instagram of Diergaarde Blijdorp (25/05/2022) Login • Instagram

StoppableSan likes this.
  20. Shirokuma

I visited today and you can see red panda temporarily housed in the dwarf mongoose enclosure located between the ostrich and zebra enclosure and the tigers. The mongooses are still in there making an unusual combination.

I felt a bit sad because the old red panda enclosure was one of my favourite anywhere. Had a look at the building work but nothing new to add on that.

The new bison path is excellent, it really increases viewing opportunities and you can get a glimpse of the polar bears too.

The large aviaries (Asia, Africa, flamingo) are not currently open as walkthroughs due to bird flu concerns.

JurassicMax, Keith and StoppableSan like this.