Join our zoo community

Rotterdam Zoo Blijdorp News

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by Trebaruna, 30 Sep 2008.

1. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

According to a visitor today, Blijdorp now has 0.1 black and rufous elephant shrew on display!

Haven't seen this species yet, but they are high on my wishlist...

2. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Are there any plans to relocate Sumatran Tigers, Gio and Vanni (born 2010 Hermes X Alia) and bring in a new breeding male for the female, Alia?

3. Pippeloentje

Pippeloentje Member

YES but still unknown when this will happen.........

4. Al

Al Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Jwer, any news on the giant elephant shrew? Where is it on show? Will be great if they are appearing in European zoos!

5. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The elephant shrew is alone, live and kicking :)

She's in a relatively small, glass fronted exhibit in the entry-hall of the new crocodile greenhouse, on her own. The greenhouse is approximately near the gorilla's in the Africa section in the older part of the Zoo.

She was shy at first but considering the amount of pictures coming up in the forums and the amount of complaints of how high-octane she is, I think she's adjusted just fine. According to rumours on the Dutch forums she came from "a private owner in Belgium".

I've also read on a german exotic owners forum a couple of years ago some owners in Germany and switzerland imported at least 3.3 from the USA. This animal could have come from there, but honestly i don't know.

To be brutally honest, since Rotterdam is a close 2,5 hours drive I haven't had the opportunity to see her yet. It's really bugging me, but with an orca and proboscis monkeys on show, us Dutch Zoo enthousiast really do have a hard time choosing where to go :p

6. Al

Al Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have to admit it is a species very high on my must see list! With a quite successful american breeding programme im sure animals may be available to import if any zoo wanted they bad enough! You do have a lot of nice species in Dutch zoos to see! :)

7. Rupicola

Rupicola Active Member

I have seen it when it was just on display. I was very anxious to see it and to take a picture of it. I just saw it for 2 minutes before it dug itself in and never showed itself for the rest of the day.