Join our zoo community

Blog about Zoos in Poland

Discussion in 'Poland' started by brongracz, 5 Mar 2011.

Tags:
  1. brongracz

brongracz Active Member

2. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Looks good. I have been to Wroclaw and [old] Poznan, and was very impressed. Can I view this blog in English?

3. brongracz

brongracz Active Member

I suppose the only possibility would be to use Google Translate.

4. Arek

Arek Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Majority of these "zoos" are collections of farm animals + deer, pheasants or other "unusual" species. Unfortunately Poland has small number of real zoos, even small.

5. brongracz

brongracz Active Member

What I link above is an article written by the bloggers couple in which they try to list all the zoos and even small menageries with farm animals. Indeed most of these are not REAL FULL FLEDGED ZOOS. Anyway it is an amazing work they did. The blog covers many different stories from zoos around the country.

I wouldn't agree that Poland has a small number of zoos. In other words: we have quite a standard amount of zoos. 12 institutions means that there is around ~3.2 mln citizens per zoo in Poland. And there are those dozens of smaller zoos which grow.

This is quite comparable to the Belgian 3.5 or 2.6 mln citizens per zoo (depending how many institutions you consider zoos). Although Belgium has more EAZA recognized institutions "per capita" some of them are rather small menageries. There is even one which claims to have "tarpan" and "aurochs" in exposition. This sort of misleading the public is a little bit unfair of an institution which claims the right to be called a zoo. Our twelve is a strong number because they the "real stuff".

6. Arek

Poland - 38 mln inh., 15 zoos in Polish Zoos Federation
    Czech R. - 10,5 mln inh., 15 zoos in Czech & Slovak Zoos Federation
    Slovakia - 5,5 mln inh., 4 zoos in Czech & Slovak Zoos Federation
    Hungary - 10 mln inh., 11 zoos in Hungarian Zoos Federation
    Belgium - 10,5 mln inh., 8 zoos in EAZA + some other good collections
    so ... no comments
    Only some east european and balkan countries have less zoos per capita than Poland.
    Btw. also Muenchen Zoo keeps "aurochs" - so it is bad zoo?

7. brongracz

brongracz Active Member

Barely 3 or 4 of recognized institutions in Belgium are real zoos and so it is with many others listed by EAZA. And we have some decent intitutions which are not listed - like the seal facility in Hel and other. It is not about numbers. And it is a great blog. And how are Polish zoos you can clearly see if you read it.

I don't mind keeping aurochs or tarpan only I prefer if the zoos credit animals properly like Konik - because this is what the species is. Zoos are to educate not to make some pseudo-scientific show. And that is what I think this Polish 12 listed institutions all do very well.

8. Mrówkojad

Mrówkojad New Member

Sosnowiec czeka na zoo! Mrówkojad i przyjaciele…

COUNTRY POPULATION ZOO IN EAZA RATE
    Polska 38139000 11 1 ZOO/ 3,5 mln. mszk.
    Czechy 10425000 13 1 ZOO/ 0,8 mln. mszk.
    Holandia 16418246 22 1 ZOO/ 0,7 mln. mszk.
    Szwajcaria 7554661 10 1 ZOO/ 0,8 mln. mszk.
    Wielka Brytania 60975000 51 1 ZOO/ 1,2 mln. mszk.
    Francja 63753140 49 1 ZOO/ 1,4 mln. mszk.
    Niemcy 82060000 51 1 ZOO/ 1,6 mln. mszk.

9. brongracz

brongracz Active Member

I told you this is a very informative blog! :)

10. Arek

I know this blog and I like it. But I wrote about number of animal collections in Poland. On Mrówkojad's list are 120 collections. Compare it with 800-900 collections in Germany, United Kingdom or France.
    And in Mrówkojad statistics are some mistakes. CZE has 12 zoos in EAZA, SUI -8, NED -16, GBR -48, FRA -45, GER - 47. Mrówkojad has higher numbers, because he counts also federations, resarch institutions, fundations etc.
    About Belgium: 3 super zoos - Antwerpen, Planckendael and Cambron. But some others are also very good. Seal station in Blankenberge better than Hel, Sea Life in Blankenberge better than Gdynia Aquarium, MS Safari in Deigne much better than Swierkocin, Reserve in Han sur Lesse much better than Bydgoszcz Zoo, Olmense Zoo better than Borysew Zoo etc.
    And we should move our discussion to Polish Zoo Forum I think.