Join our zoo community

Monarto Safari Park Blue Ostriches

Discussion in 'Australia' started by markt, 15 Apr 2012.

Tags:
  1. markt

markt New Member

Does anyone have pics or updated info of the blue ostriches hatched recently at Monarto Zoo? FYI they are the Zimbabwean Blue subspecies.
    It's my understanding that six chicks hatched, but that the adult male died not long afterwards.
    Does anyone know if this subspecies is kept anywhere else in Australia?

2. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

I didn't even know there were such things as blue ostriches! I have googled for pics of them and the Monarto website but haven't managed to find anything sorry. I look forward to seeing the pics too.

3. markt

markt New Member

Look up the zoos blog - possibly under conservation ark.
    I first read about this in the newspaper I think.

4. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip markt. Managed to find this, although you may have already seen it.

Ostrich Chicks -

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

they are kept on commercial ostrich farms in Australia, which I expect is where the zoo's ones came from

6. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I believe Ostriches were imported over 100 years ago for the production of feathers for hats, which was the trend at the time. Once that fad passed they were released to fend for themselfs. They survived and persisted in South Australia I believe for about 100 years before the fad of Ostrich farming for their meat and skins came along. The wild ones were captured and sold for enormous prices. As far as I know no new blood has been introduced.

7. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

as you say, ostriches were first imported to Australia in the late 1860s for farming. After the failure of the market the birds were mostly released. When farming resumed in the late 20th century the feral birds were almost all recaptured (there are still some recent reports of wild birds). However fresh stock was imported from South Africa in the 1980s as well, hence the availability of "Zimbabwe blues", "African blacks" etc

8. khakibob

khakibob Well-Known Member

This new genetics would have been completly funded by the commercial industry (zoo's are a consumer)& Zimbabwe Blues should be in Aus & avaliable as long as the commercial folks have them.
    Fiddeling with pest assesments & increasing regulations on owners making it untenable for them to maintain stock,would be their greatest threat.

Cheers Khakibob