Join our zoo community

Bongo and Tapir in Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Hyak_II, 12 Nov 2020.

1. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Two slightly different species, but I don't want to clutter up the forum, lol.

What is the status of Bongo and Tapir in Canada?

Best I know, Malaysian Tapir is the most "common" species we have up here, with around 5-8 individuals. Miller Zoo in Quebec has a pair, Parc Safari has a single male, African Lion Safari has at least a pair, and it would seem Elmvale Zoo might still have one too? Other than that, there is a single Brazilian Tapir at Safari Niagara. Any others kicking around?

As for Bongo, it would seem African Lion Safari has a pair, and Elmvale might have one or two as well? I *think* there might be a few in smaller unaccredited facilities as well, but its hard to get info on them.

2. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I can't improve your lists at all. I did double check with the SSPs and none of the animals you listed count because they are not part of the program.

I do know you're pretty accurate on the tapirs as far as I can recall. Didn't know about a pair at Miller Zoo but to be fair I didn't even know the zoo existed. The only possible addition I can think of is the female Malayan that Bowmanville had unless she is the one you think is at Elmvale. I have no idea where she went. The last record I have is her at Bowmanville which we know is impossible.

Bongos... to be honest I didn't think there were any in Canada left. Would be nice to see the bigger Canadian zoos embrace them again. They are a pretty impressive looking animal.

3. kingoffreaks

kingoffreaks Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I know I've been on this diatribe before but if the SSP would update there means of documentation to include DNA then these Tapir and Bongos could be included if they are breeding age.