Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Bongo Antelope

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Meaghan Edwards, 19 Jan 2018.

1. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

I don't know if this was some sort of Mandela Effect but I seem to recall seeing Bongo Antelope at the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair when I was a little girl. I went along this ramp to see them through a window in a door (I think it's where the area where the horses are warmed up before a show). Pretty sure they came from Toronto Zoo (not sure if they were there to promote them so to speak or the exhibit wasn't ready for them or something).

2. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I don't know of the bongo ever leaving the zoo even briefly unless it was a full on transfers and even then the only record of one leaving I have is male calf Bula who was the only calf to survive long enough to transfer. Male Gitu and female Pamba would be the only other options and both died at the zoo. Could they have been on display for a come to the zoo promo... maybe but considering they are endangered... unlikely. If the zoo needed holding space for them they have surplus space throughout the zoo that would have been used first. Could they have been from some other source... possibly...

3. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

What is a "Mandela effect" ?o_O

4. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

The Mandela effect is a phenomenon in which people remember images, memories or sayings that never actually happened. In this case, Meaghan isn't sure if she saw the bongo or if it was the Mandela effect.

5. kingoffreaks

kingoffreaks Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There are several Bongo in other zoos in Ontario right now so there could have been others in the past.
    I don't remember Bongo but I do seem to remember a year they had a jungle themed building but I was young so don't remember it well, I have the vaguest memory of black Jaguars or Leopards and Peccaries.

6. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Thanks for that @Jungle Man !

I never heard false memories being called that term before and I've just read a little bit about what its association with Nelson Mandela is which is quite interesting as a social phenomena.

Zoochat is really quite useful for finding out whether a memory of seeing an animal at a zoo is a false one or actually happened.

For example I had what I believed to have been a false memory about seeing a black lion tamarin at Bristol Zoo in the UK in the early 2000's and asked someone here on the forum and found out that I had actually seen one of these.

Jungle Man likes this.