Join our zoo community

Bonobos in Europe

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by ShonenJake13, 5 Mar 2016.

1. WanderingDragon

WanderingDragon Well-Known Member

Further to this report: Planckendael Animal Park swaps bonobos ahead of Brexit and from checking Zootierliste, it appears a female moved from Berlin Zoo to Twycross late in 2018 (LIKEMBA, I think). The swap referred to, again if my reading of Zootierliste is correct, involves LINA, LOUISOKO, LUCUMA and RUBANI moving to Twycross and DIATOU, BANYA, KEKE and MOKONZI moving to Planckendael. However, there is nothing on the websites of either zoo to confirm this.

2. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Almost - Diatou and Keke are still at Twycross, Kianga and Moko were the others that went to Belgium.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  3. WanderingDragon

WanderingDragon Well-Known Member

Thank you. So, my reading of Zootierliste was only correct-ish! I'm still not convinced Likemba has moved from Berlin Zoo to Twycross - again, no announcement (and it would leave Berlin with a very small group of 1.3).

4. ShonenJake13

Again I will have to correct you - I visited Twycross not long ago and Likemba is there. A move that may have slipped past you was male Limbuko returning to Berlin summer last year - he didn’t fit in at Cologne. So Berlin have 2.3 - males Santi and Limbuko, and females Opala, Monyama and Leki, Opala’s other daughter.

5. ShonenJake13

In light of the above confusion, here an up to date list of bonobos in Europe:

Frankfurt - 5.11 (Heri Nyota Panisco Sambo Yango, Margrit Natalie Kamiti Zomi Mixi Bashira Nayembi Hanna Nila Xola Xekele)
    Wilhelma - 7.12 (Mobikisi Kasai Lubao Bobali Makasi Kaju Xhosa, Kombote Chipita Chimba Liboso Haiba Banbo Huenda Fimi Bikita Mary-Rose Yanola Kolela)
    Cologne - 1.4 (Kivu, Yala Binti Batia Bina)
    Wuppertal - 6.4 (Mato Birogu Bili Azibo Ayubu Bakari, Kichele Eja Muhdeblu Akeena)
    Planckendael - 6.7 (Vifijo Zamba Habari Mokonzi Kikongo Moko, Hortense Banya Djanoa Busira Kianga Nayoki Sanza)
    Berlin - 2.3 (Santi Limbuko, Opala Monyama Leki)
    Twycross - 5.7 (Keke Louisoko Lucuma Ndeko Rubani, Diatou Lina Cheka Maringa Likemba Malaika Lopori)
    Apenheul - 5.7 (Kindu Bolombo Makasi Eyenga Lokolo, Bonnie Jill Zuani Kumbuka Besede Pangi Ayebi)
    Leipzig - 7.5 (Joey Jasongo Kuno Kasai Yaro Tayo Sumai, Yasa Lexi Luiza Gemena Amira)
    Vallee des Singes *group 1* - 6.11 (Diwani David Kelele Loto Moko Lokoro, Daniela Ukela Ulindi Khaya Lingala Lucy Yahimba Khalessi Yuli Swahili Kimya)
    Vallee des Singes *group 2* - 2.6 (Bondo Luebo, Lingala Kutu Lingoye Omanga Visola Nginga)

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. BjoernN

BjoernN Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Male bonobo born to OPALA in Berlin at May 10th.

7. ShonenJake13

This brings the number of animals in Europe to 130 - a milestone!!

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  8. BjoernN

The zoo in Rhenen started construction works for the bonobo exhibit.

MagpieGoose and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  9. BjoernN

He got the name MATAYO (or MATS for the citizens of Berlin who love abbreviations).

10. BjoernN

NAYEMBI in Frankfurt gave birth to he second offspring on tuesday 16th.

11. john

john Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Who will be the father of Nayembi's second off-spring?
    Who is the father of Nayembi;s first offspring? What is the name of that offspring?
    Who is the father of Nayembi?

12. BjoernN

NAYEMBIs father is MOBIKISI, the father of her first daughter NILA is KASAI.

The father of her two days ago born baby could be HERI, NXOTA II, PANISCO, maybee SAMBO too.

13. ShonenJake13

Nayembi is the daughter of Liboso and Mobikisi (both at Stuttgart currently). She is Mobikisi's only surviving offspring, and with him being a wildborn male this means she is very genetically important (her mother is also the daughter of two wildborn animals so in turn is equally important). She was born at Apenheul in 2006. Her first offspring is a daughter Nila, who was born whilst she was at Stuttgart. Nila's father is Kasai, the other breeding male at Stuttgart (and very successful at that, some might say too successful).
    As Bjoern says above, her father boils down to three likely candidates; brothers Heri and Nyota, or male Panisco. Panisco's younger brother Sambo is a possibility, but he is still quite young (seven this year) so he is unlikely.

14. BjoernN

Bonobo born to LIKEMBA (*2009 in Berlin, VIFIJO x OPALA) in Twycross...

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  15. BjoernN

According to the Wilhelma facebook group HUENDA gave birth to her second offspring (monday or tuesday night).

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  16. BjoernN

HAIBA gave birth to her third baby in Stuttgart on thursday (21st). Her first both babys died within the first year or were stillborn (2018).

17. BjoernN

NAYEMBIs boy got the name ZIKOMO. HUENDA s baby is a male, HAIBAs baby probably too according to zoo friends. Both boys have been sired by KASAI. MOBIKISI had no access to HAIBA and HUENDA during to the time period of insemination.

18. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

All Bonobos in the United States and Europe

I've conducted a list of all Bonobos in Europe, according to this chat, as well as all the bonobos in the United States. I know the United States list has some flaws, so if anyone can tell me any errors they see I would appreciate it! :)
    I'm excited to talk about bonobos with everyone in the future.

betsy likes this.
  19. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Here is a correction of the San Diego bonobos. I will try to check the others when I have more time.
    F Loretta 1/22/1974 Linda Kakowet
    F Lisa 6/14/1981 Laura Bosondjo
    M Erin 12/23/1991 Loretta Vernon
    M Vic 6/27/2001 Lisa Vernon
    M Makasi 4/22/2004 Loretta Jumanji (Loretta's grand-nephew)
    F Kali/Kalli 3/15/2005 Loretta Jumanji (Loretta's grand-nephew)
    F Mali 9/4/2007 Ikela Yenge
    F Maddie 3/24/2009 Lisa Vernon
    F Belle 12/21/2013 Lisa Vernon

EsserWarrior likes this.
  20. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Is Lexi, the dominant female at Leipzig, the same female I have listed at Jacksonville Zoo? Lexi was born in 2000, but my document says Jacksonville has a Lexi who was born in 1999 to Bosondjo and Lorel. (It is hard to document the bonobos in the U.S. due to all the conflicting information on different sites, news articles, videos, etc., but I trust everything I've read on here.)