Join our zoo community

Bonobos in Europe

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by ShonenJake13, 5 Mar 2016.

1. BjoernN

BjoernN Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Interesting fact, that XHOSAs sire is unknown once again.

betsy likes this.
  2. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It was never known, the person I got his sire from only put down the most likely individual...so it’s still not confirmed if he was sired by Heri, Nyota, Bili or Panisco.

3. ShonenJake13

Sadly, we need to update our lists almost immediately.

Wildborn female Zuani has died at Apenheul in the Netherlands. She arrived there in 1998 from the INRB in the Democratic Republic of Congo together with her one year old daughter Liboso (now in Wilhelma) and an additional two males and two females. Zuani was the last of the INRB adults left, and only ever had two offspring during her lifespan - Liboso and her (now) ten year old son Makasi, who she leaves behind. Thanks to Liboso, Zuani has three grandchildren and, thanks to the eldest of these three, two great-grandchildren.
    Zuani was also one of the last 14 wildborn bonobos in captivity outside of Africa, and one of the younger ones at that, turning approximately 29 earlier this year.
    RIP crazy lady :(

Last edited: 22 Oct 2019
    EsserWarrior likes this.
  4. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

How unfortunate. Does anyone know why she passed?

Also, what does that bring the total amount of females to in Europe? 76?

5. ShonenJake13

She had a cyst which they removed but she never fully recovered from the operation sadly.

Total females in Europe should now be 76, yes (possibly 77 if Twycross’ latest baby is a girl).

EsserWarrior likes this.
  6. EsserWarrior

Anything I should be looking for when I visit Milwaukee next month? It'll probably be too cold for them outside, so I'll probably only be able to see them in the indoor exhibit.

Also, has Milwaukee said anything about eventually replacing those cruddy outdoor exhibits?

7. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

The only group I have observed for a good length of time is the San Diego group. We only have 1 outdoor exhibit or they stay downstairs in the bedrooms. They are managed using the "fission-fusion method" but the group is dynamic. When the bonobos from Cincinnati (Lisa, Vic, Maddie, and Belle) transferred to the group in 2015 they were all on exhibit together. This arrangement lasted about 6 months then Lisa started attacking Makasi. So now they are never together on or off exhibit. This means the group on exhibit changes every day. Erin always stays in the bedroom with Makasi but sometimes Erin does not let Loretta shift to the outdoor exhibit. Sometimes Kalli refuses to shift to the outdoor exhibit because she prefers to stay with Vic. This is what makes observing bonobos so fascinating.

EsserWarrior likes this.
  8. EsserWarrior

That's very interesting! You've got a really nice group of bonobos to observe. I'm going to have to learn how to tell the bonobos at Milwaukee apart! (Which'll probably be hard, due to how many they have.) But I will try to take photos and record anything interesting that I see. Let's hope there's a keeper or volunteer to talk to. :p

9. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Good luck! It is not an easy place to get photos. I would be very interested in hearing about any information you get.

EsserWarrior likes this.
  10. EsserWarrior

Thanks! My photos wouldn't be too high-quality either, just some classic photos from my phone.

11. ShonenJake13

@EsserWarrior, just count how many are on exhibit. That should sort you out in terms of how they’re managed.
    I would suggest checking out Bonobo Banner on Facebook, he has a very extensive photo database of most of, if not all, of the Milwaukee animals

betsy and EsserWarrior like this.
  12. john

john Well-Known Member 15+ year member

By the passing away of Zuani. What is the weight of the wild born female bonobo's by individual? And what is the weight of the captive born female bonobo's by individual?

13. ShonenJake13

How would we know that? That’s private information that is unlikely to be shared with the public....

14. john

john Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It seems to me that Zuani was a very light female.
    Compare her to Hortense or Hermien.
    And compare Desmond to Hani (on the male site).

Is that variation within this species?
    Or are these local variations?

15. EsserWarrior

She could've just been a lighter female in the species.Bonobos aren't huge apes in general, so I wouldn't count on her being a different subspecies or anything like that. I guess a little local variation in the WC bonobos could be present, but who knows.

16. BjoernN

HUENDAs boy (born August 5th) got the name OKELO. His sire is confirmed to be KASAI by zoo occicials. HAIBAs boy (born August 21st) got the name NIO. His sire is not absolutely sure yet.

EsserWarrior and betsy like this.
  17. BjoernN

Inspired by the recently posted okapi-map I tried to do the same and combined the date I collected during the last 15 years. I created a google map including the date of all recent and former bonobo collections in europe. I will try to update it regularly. Have fun with it (attention it is German).

Bonobos in Europa - Google My Maps

18. zoofanbelgium

zoofanbelgium Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Nice work! I will use it regularly!!

Do you know where I can find the okapi map?

Last edited: 2 Nov 2019
    EsserWarrior likes this.
  19. EsserWarrior

Omanga at Valle de Singes just recently had a baby! Bondo or Luebo are the two potential sires.

20. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Chimp?