Join our zoo community

Book about animal body parts?

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by Babyrousa, 19 May 2023.

1. Babyrousa

Babyrousa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hi everyone,

I’ve been looking for a specific animal book that I remember reading as a kid, but in all of the libraries I’ve been to, I could not find a copy of it. The book was about different animal body parts, and it is illustrated with drawings instead of photos. Each section of the book looked at extreme versions of a different body part. For example, there was a section about noses which had the Asian elephant, star-nosed mole and proboscis monkey, and a section on tongues featuring the okapi, giant anteater and some kind of long-tongued bat.

Unfortunately, I cannot remember the name of the book, but I know that I got it when I was a child in the 2000s, so it must have been published in either that decade or the 90s. If anyone knows about it, please let me know and share a photo of the book cover if possible. I would be most grateful.

2. Babyrousa

What I want to say about the book I'm looking for that I didn't mention in the above post, is that most (if not all) of the animals in the book were drawn roughly life-sized.

Other animals I remember being featured in the book were the sun bear, mole cricket (both of which were in a section about claws I think), aardvark, scarlet macaw (on a page about beaks), African elephant, Gaboon viper, tokay gecko, bottlenose dolphin, ring-tailed lemur, beaver and woodwasp (these last 3 being on a page about tails which was the last section of the book).

I have a feeling that the book was published sometime during the 90s, but I could be wrong for all I know.

3. Babyrousa

Found it! The book is Large as Life by Steve Parker (illustrated by Alan Young). I knew the cover looked familiar when I came across it on the website Libraries Ireland.
    [​IMG]

4. Babyrousa

Alan Male, not Alan Young