Join our zoo community

Books on Zoos

Discussion in 'United States' started by kbaker116, 6 Aug 2009.

1. kbaker116

kbaker116 Well-Known Member

Does any one know any good books related to zoos. I read The Life of Pi, Babylons Ark, We Bought a Zoo, and some others if you have any good titles please post. Also if you know of any books I could order about animal husbandry that would be great, thanks!

2. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. redpanda

redpanda Well-Known Member

I would recommend a recently published book, "Zoo Animals: behaviour, management and welfare" as it is both broad, informative and has lots of information on further reading!

4. Meg-T

Meg-T Well-Known Member

I agree with redpanda, if its informative books you are looking for 'Zoo Animals' cannot be beaten! Also 'wild mammals in Captivity'. If you were looking for more novel type books or biographies then the Gerald Durrell books are fab!!

5. Zoogoer2000

Zoogoer2000 Well-Known Member

Im surprised no one has mention "Americas Best Zoo, A Travel Guide for Fans and Families" by Allen W. Nyhuis and Jon Wassner (both of whom are actually members on Zoochat, Jon is Burdorcas and Allen is ANyhuis)

Its a fantastic book and I highly suggest it (I own a copy and I've read the entire thing about 5 times)

6. bdradford

bdradford Member

I have just finished Gerald Durrell's "A zoo in my luggage", highly recomended, will be keeping my eye out for others written by him. I have a fair collection of zoo books, will post a better list ASAP.

Regards

7. Rookeyper

Rookeyper Well-Known Member

"Life At The Zoo by" Robinson and "You Belong in a Zoo" by Brazaitis are fairly entertaining. "The Zookeeper's Wife" by Diane Ackerman is set in a zoo during WWII. An older book, "Zoo" by Gold is also a good read.

8. drzoomi

drzoomi Well-Known Member

"My zoo family" about a zookeper in the bronx in the 40's is realy good...

9. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sailing With Noah by St Louis Zoo director Jeffrey Bonner. Although his writing style is not the smoothest, the stories and information are top notch. It is basically a defense of zoos and explains and explains why they are so important today. The chapter titled The Problem With PETA is especially informative.

Keepers Of The Wild with chapters by different zoo directors and photos by National Geographic shooter Nick Nichols (my favorite photographer).

Mr Zoo, the biography of Charles Schroeder, longtime San Diego Zoo director who was responsible for the establishment of the Wild Animal Park.

10. eddysfo

eddysfo Member

THE ZOOKEEPER'S WIFE by DIANE ACKERMAN IS A WONDERFUL TRUE ACCOUNT OF THE WARSAW ZOO DURING THE NAZI INVASION