Join our zoo community

Borneo - Orang-utans

Discussion in 'Asia - General' started by Simon Hampel, 20 Jun 2007.

1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member

ABC's Foreign Correspondent aired an item back in 2006 about Orangutans in Borneo.

Foreign Correspondent - 12/09/2006: Borneo - Orang-utans

(includes full transcript and video)

2. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

We have heard a lot about her work with orangs back in Denmark. Last year, she lost her main sponsor, and it was uncertain if she could continue her rescue center. But with a lot of donations and support, everything went allright. And now, she has a new sponsor :)

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member

There was some more information on Orangutans in Borneo shown on the TV show "Totally Wild" here in Australia last week.

I've uploaded some brief excerpts of the footage from Sepilok Orangutan Sanctuary in Malaysian Borneo.

Sepilok Orangutan Sanctuary - Malaysian Borneo

4. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Sepilok

I thoroughly enjoyed Sepilok when I was in Sandakan -- although admittedly , that is probably the main reason why anyone would visit Sandakan for ...
    They were doing a great job in rehabbing orangs that were in various stages of "domestication" to eventually release them back to the jungle .
    The place was obviously putting the orangs wellbeing first . It is not "flash" , but it is servicable , and there is a lot of information about the plight of orangs in Borneo .

Out of interest , approx 13 orangs came to the feeding pods , which were only a few metres away from us . These ones are the ones that are almost 100 % released -- they come to the feeding pods only if they hadnt managed to find much food . Sepilok feeds them just milk and bananas , which is a fairly boring diet .
    They feed the caged orangs with a more varied diet , to try and train them to recognise what food there is in the jungle .

It is definately worth visiting if you happen to be in the region , but a little tedious to get Sandakan by surface transport ......

5. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

my favorite orang-utan at sepilok.....

Attached Files: