Join our zoo community

Botanical gardens with animals

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Onychorhynchus coronatus, 27 Oct 2020.

1. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

The Missouri Botanical Garden in St. Louis also has some butterflies and fish (Cichlids I think), in the climatron, and there were some isopods in the temperate house. Of course there are koi and wildlife, and there might be some other captive animals elsewhere.

Last edited: 25 Apr 2021
  2. MonkeyBat

MonkeyBat Well-Known Member

Brookgreen Gardens in Myrtle Beach has a fantastic little zoo. There a huge enclosures (some of which have got to be acres) for native species and local domestic animals, as well as a fantastic cypress aviary. Species include river otters, alligators, foxes, deer, Spanish goats, and wetland birds. Here's some info
    Native Animals

Reiman Gardens in Ames, Iowa has a very nice butterfly house. I believe the one in Omaha has one too.

3. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There is the Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens were I volunteer, they have a great plant collection of different species some provide food for the animals throughout the zoo grounds based on the different continent sections and even Six different birds gardens with plants providing food and nesting material for local native birds and wildlife.

The Arboretum of Arcadia has free-roaming blue Peafowl and helmeted Guinea fowl since it’s early days.

The Huntington Library, Art Museum, and Botanical Gardens has a live termite display in the conservatory and the Chinese and Japanese ponds have koi along with local native wildlife like mallards and Canada geese and an introduced population of red-whispered bulbul are seen in the desert garden section.

4. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

A 20 min drive from our house brings you to Southport Botanical Gardens, providing you turn left or right at the correct places of course :p
    This is an old place, a nice short walk around it takes only 30 mins even when dawdling. There are several water stretches with coots, moor hens, various ducks and a few swans. All your common usual UK garden birds, grey squirrels and if you are very lucky just before closing time at dusk you may spot a hedgehog. There are 4 or 5 aviaries holding various parrot species and other 'ornamental birds' (sorry, I'm rubbish with birds). I have also seen golden pheasants pairs here too. I get the impression unwanted pets end up here quite often....
    For those who like plants there is a Victorian fern house and many pleasant gardens.
    This place is a popular jaunt for us in winter to walk the dog a the weekend when the local farm paths are muddy. On site there is also a café and a shop selling plants that you can see around the gardens.

5. J I N X

J I N X Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Jallo Park, Lahore in Pakistan. Previously used to house the largest snake collection in the country. Currently has a butterfly walk-through and a captive breeding program for sambar, the founding stock being wild caught animals that occasionally cross over from India

Il gattopardo and Ned like this.
  6. ChIkEn NuGrEt

ChIkEn NuGrEt Well-Known Member

The Gardens By The Bay in Singapore has a small hidden aquarium area near the sun pavilion. It’s called the Big Fish Aquarium and it isn’t on any maps.

7. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

8. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Sorry about the late reply @Pootle !

It looks like a great botanical garden, beautifully landscaped and planted.

I've had a look at some pictures online and from the looks of it at least some of the aviary birds kept there include blue and gold macaw, turquoise fronted and yellow fronted amazon parrots and cockatiels.

Beautiful looking koi , thanks for sharing @ChunkyMunky pengopus !

CMP likes this.
  9. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Wow I was expecting it to be a little aquarium with goldfish or koi tucked away in a corner.

I just had a look on google images though and not only does the botanical gardens itself look futuristic like something from the movie bladerunner but the aquarium looks excellent.

Thank you for sharing @JINX !

What happened to the snake collection and were these snakes used for milking for the development of anti-venom ?

10. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

Here are two videos I found on youtube of it:
    One from 2016:
    And a more recent one from 2020:

From google photos there also seems to be a separate arowana aquarium:
    [​IMG]

Overall it looks pretty cool, with nice species, but it may have fallen into slight disrepair with all of the algae on the glass from the 2020 video.

11. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thanks for sharing ! It looks incredible and very impressive displays !

I imagine that this botanical garden may be more able to afford these kind of exhibits though considering that Singapore is such an enormously wealthy country.

CMP likes this.
  12. Strathmorezoo

Strathmorezoo Well-Known Member

Birmingham Botanical Gardens opened in 1829. In 1910 a zoo was added to the Gardens which included bears, monkeys , alligators, seals and birds (species not known).As far as I know it was closed down sometime in the 1950s.
    During 1993 I was asked to provide consultation with regard to the bird collection. The collection then was spread around the gardens and in the old Bear and monkey cages. I advised on how the cages needed extra planting and enrichment, along with tweaking the relevant diets.
    In 1995 the new dome aviaries were to be built and so I was asked to provide species lists for each new aviary (which unfortunately I seem to have lost)but if my memory serves me well, I think that the softbills played a major role .I also remember having to argue quite strongly that indoor accommodation was needed, the management thought that this would spoil the look of the domes,as I couldn't convince them I left! Sometime later sheds were erected within the domes.

Osedax and German Zoo World like this.
  13. ZooTripper365

ZooTripper365 Well-Known Member

Atlanta botanical Gardens houses various fish and alligator snapping turtle in one of the greenhouses. There's also a separate indoor area dedicated to the poison dart frogs in the house. I love the parks that mix animals and plant species together to show how universal nature can be. Sorry if I'm looking into it too much :D

Osedax and German Zoo World like this.
  14. Pantheraman

Pantheraman Well-Known Member

The Kingwood Center Gardens of Mansfield, Ohio has ducks as well as Indian Peafowl.

15. Strathmorezoo

Strathmorezoo Well-Known Member

Is this the same. Leonardslee west Sussex that Clinton keeling mentioned In Where the Leopard Lazed. He said that a Sir Edmond Loder started a sizable zoo there and remnants of it remains. Apparently the zoo opened in 1905 and probably closed during WW1

16. Dr. Wolverine

Dr. Wolverine Well-Known Member

The Singapore Botanic Gardens does not house any captive species, but is home to
    Smooth coated otters
    Clouded Monitors
    Water Monitors
    Harlequin Monitors
    Mute Swans
    White-breasted Rail
    Red Junglefowl
    Oriental Pied Hornbill

CMP and Osedax like this.
  17. Il gattopardo

Il gattopardo Well-Known Member

Parco della Villa Pallavicino , Stresa, Italy
    is a beautiful botanic garden at the shores of Lake Maggiore.
    In 1952 Marchioness Luisa Pallavicino started keeping exotic animals (flamingo, zebra, deer, green monkey. coati, beaver, crane species).
    We visit this zoological & botanical park since 1971 : it never lost it´s charme (unlike some famous zoos). This is partly due to the genius loci of the park itself and, of course, the breathtaking view over Lake Maggiore till the Alps.
    No wonder this Italian zoological-botanical garden is high on my list of Zoos with a View

Osedax likes this.
  18. Cichlid

Cichlid Member

The Botanical Gardens of the University of Tübingen in Germany used to have multiple tanks with fish a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, I haven't been there in quite a while and don't really remember the species all that well...

German Zoo World likes this.
  19. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Rio de Janeiro Botanical Garden has an exhibit containing a river cooter and multiple sliders (red and yellow-eared, as well as hybrids between the two species). These animals were abandoned in the dependencies of the botanical garden by people who quit keeping them as pets.

Lago das “tartarugas”

Osedax likes this.
  20. Zhao yun

Zhao yun Well-Known Member

The Mute Swans are actually captive birds imported from Amsterdam. To top it off, there are also wing-clipped Black Swans.

Osedax and Dr. Wolverine like this.