Join our zoo community

Bovid Importations

Discussion in 'Australia' started by LOU, 29 Apr 2010.

1. LOU

LOU Well-Known Member

2. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

This is Great news, hopefully we won't have any more crazy casturations and phase outs and we look after the ungulates now!

3. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thank you LOU for this advice.

And thank you ZAA for your representations on behalf of all Aussie zoos that will ultimately benefit from this relaxation.

4. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Very good news for our zoos I wonder if Hippos could be included?

5. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Awesome news.

Congratulations to all who have spent years working on this. Fantastic result.

Hopefully, as Mark alluded to, this might form a basis from which a Hippo IRA could be developed.

Also - no lowland nyala?

6. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

You're assuming Wellington want to get rid of their Nyala.

:p

Hix

7. CGSwans

No, I'm assuming that the region won't waste the money that Wellington spent on that importation, and import enough to establish a viable population.

IIRC, lowland nyala were identified as a priority species because they're suitable for both open range and urban zoos, and because batchelor herds can be maintained.

I also note, belatedly, that impala appear to have dropped off the list?

8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Surely, this is the BEST news we could all have hoped for by a long shot! We must be glad that finally ZAA efforts in the importation arena have borne fruit. It will enable to set up viable populations of the species under consideration and generally will add the numbers to the open range zoos (Werribee, Monarto, Dubbo). Also, the bongos will no longer have breeding recommendations thwarted for lack of unrelated animals.

Let us also hope that ZAA can add on in other areas where population issues and phase outs have created issues for priority TAG species. :cool:

9. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

This is great and lets hope that a similar program to the rhinos and elephants will be carried out.

10. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

I also note, belatedly, that impala appear to have dropped off the list?[/QUOTE]

I saw that as well :rolleyes:

11. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

You mean like castrating the ONLY male Greater Kudu in the country that was living with seven females :rolleyes:

12. CGSwans

I just had a look at the number of spaces allocated to various antelope species within ZAA zoos:

Impala: 124 spaces at Altina, Auckland, Cairns, Mogo, Monarto, NZA, Dubbo, Wellington and Werribee.

Springbok: 27 spaces at Auckland and Orana.

Blackbuck: 132 spaces at Altina, Alma Park, Halls Gap, Hamilton, Monarto, Dubbo, Wellington and Werribee.

Blesbok: 6 spaces at Wellington.

Eland: 126 spaces at Altina, Australia Zoo, Halls Gap, Monarto, NZA, Dubbo and Werribee.

Lowland Nyala: 65 spaces at Auckland, Hamilton, Keystone, Monarto, NZA, Dubbo, Wellington and Werribee.

Bongo: 26 spaces at Adelaide, Altina, Halls Gap, Melbourne, Monarto, Dubbo, Taronga and Werribee.

Greater Kudu: 27 spaces at Altina, Monarto, NZA and Werribee.

Addax: 66 spaces at Altina, Cairns, Halls Gap, Monarto, Dubbo and Werribee.

Scimitar-horned Oryx: 99 spaces at Altina, Australia Zoo, Cairns, Halls Gap, Mogo, Monarto, Orana, Dubbo and Werribee.

Sable Antelope: 17 spaces at Monarto and Orana.

Waterbuck: 38 spaces at Hamilton, Monarto, Orana, Dubbo and Werribee.

So the over-all number of spaces, across 12 species, is currently 753. I'm going to make the following observations:

- Bongo and Greater Kudu are from the same genus (as are Lowland Nyala) and at a similar size and with similar captive requirements, are effectively interchangeable. Combined, there are over 50 spaces for these two species, but neither really have enough commitment on their own. Perhaps we need to choose one or the other - my inclination is towards bongos.

- There is clearly not enough support for blesbok to become a priority species at this time, and not really enough for sable antelopes either. It's a shame, as both are beautiful species, but it's tempting to suggest these spaces should be allocated to another medium-sized African antelope that has a small population already in the region, namely waterbuck.

- It's not really clear to me why impala became the preferred small African antelope species over Springboks, which are already in the region. Perhaps, rather than try to start with a brand new species, it's better to consolidate one we already have? Unless, of course, the springbok population is already a genetic cul-de-sac.

- there seems to be enough support for both critically endangered Saharan species, the addax and the scimitar-horned oryx.

13. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

So is there no antelopes for Perth zoo?

Also is there an base number for a species before any of our zoos agree to import a species like say 20 imports between X number of zoos for the region?

Last edited: 30 Apr 2010
  14. CGSwans

Nope. The only ungulates they keep are giraffes, zebras and rhinos.

I believe that an ASMP will only be established if there are more than 20 spaces for a species. However, this is a bare minimum.

15. Hix

Did anyone actually read the document LOU linked in the first post? I'm not trying to be rude, but you all seem to be under a misapprehension.

The following excerpt is from the first paragraph of this document:

"As some suitable animals are available in New Zealand, the review has considered the quarantine risks associated with the importation of zoo bovids from New Zealand (Auckland Zoo, Hamilton Zoo, Orana Wildlife Park and Wellington Zoo). Zoos will be subject to approval by Australia prior to export."

Permits will be issued for animals currently held in those New Zealand zoos listed above. Hence my comment about Wellington's Nyalas. Plus, there are no impala in New Zealand (or so I believe).

Hix

16. CGSwans

There are no kudu, eland, bongo or addax either. It's clearly a longer-term project to import more of all these species.

17. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

That was my view of it too ;)

18. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hix,

I did read the MoU.

What my perceptions are is that if - am I correct to assume that - there are no bovid restrictions on importation overseas into NZ, it surely is a major step forward?

I am well aware that some of the species listed are not kept at all in NZ. But if my memory of Chlidonias' comments elsewhere serves me well, NZ was in the process of looking at acquiring large African hoofstock overseas with Orana Park serving as quarantaine ....

K.B.

19. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

that's probably a recollection of a comment I made regarding how Orana had entered into an agreement with (I think it was Lord McAlpine?) in Australia to import ungulates into NZ, quarantine them there, and then export some to (McAlpine's?) zoo in Australia with some stock remaining at Orana. (McAlpine?) funded the housing for the animals at Orana - the costs may have been split, I'm not sure. Anyway, it was all a long time ago and I'm not sure of the exact details of it so don't put any real faith in my comments. I believe the NZ springboks at least came in via this arrangement.

Last edited: 1 May 2010
  20. Hix

I don't know what restrictions NZ MAF have on importing bovines. But I don't think NZ will be importing antelope, holding them for a couple of months and then exporting them to Australia.

What this document permits will be freer movement of bovines in the regional herd.

Hix