Join our zoo community

Bovid Importations

Discussion in 'Australia' started by LOU, 29 Apr 2010.

1. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

NZ can import bovids. The nyala are proof enough of that. I believe there was a paper presented at the conference suggesting that NZ would be used as a conduit for getting bovids into the region, citing nyala as a sort of test run. The animals need to be born in NZ, or spend 12 months there, before going to Australia.

2. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Also the Nyala that were imported into NZ came from South Africa right?

3. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

So, has any further action taken place, or has it all ground to a halt?

4. BennettL

BennettL Well-Known Member

Nyala are becoming a major popularity in NZ zoos now.

BennettL

5. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I believe ten are due to be shipped to two Australian zoos in the near future!

6. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

So if the nyala are due to be exported to Aust does this mean bovids don't need 12 months quarantine in NZ?
    Also does anybody have a list of bovid spp that are clear for import to NZ, and/or a list of spp that Australasian zoos are aiming to import in the future? Any chance that hippos/giraffe can be added to this list?

7. Zorro

Once the new Bovid IRA importation rules are complete antelopes can be imported direct into the country untill then they must go via NZ for quarantine as the current group of Nyala have done. In regards to Hippos I believe a different IRA will need to be completed for them which could take a number of years, It appears our powers to be can only work on one thing at a time!

8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Any indication how long this Bovid IRA rule might take to put into operation?

BTW: sad that bureacracy rules ... supreme! I am afraid it does impair any rapid conservation management of exotic species in the Antipodes. This really needs sorting some time soon by ZAA.

9. Zorro

Thats anyones guess its taken far to long it appears it appears to have been delayed a number of times hope its sooner rather than later.

10. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

It could still take quite awhile. And what's already researched and written up might need to be rewritten. There was a change in legislation last June and it's slowed down a lot of procedures.

:p

Hix

11. Zorro

And this is before they even start a IRA for Hippos,Lol

12. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

the nyala were imported to NZ ages ago (in January 2016, long before they were announced by the zoo) - a twelve month quarantine is still required in NZ before export to Australia.

Most antelope species are eligible to be imported to NZ, from specific countries (but only antelope - no wild cattle, sheep, goats, etc).

Giraffe can only be imported/exported in a closed circle between Australia and NZ. Not sure that will be changing any time soon. Auckland have said they are planning on developing an IHS for hippo but I wouldn't hold my breath on that being close.