Join our zoo community

Brazilian zoos

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by FelipeDBKO, 23 Sep 2016.

1. FelipeDBKO

FelipeDBKO Well-Known Member

Today I visited the São Paulo Aquarium again... Now they have a pair of Koalas and three Harbor seals!

2. FelipeDBKO

Today I went to the Piracicaba Zoo (Zoológico de Piracicaba).

They have a good variety of small native mammals and native birds, although they have some large animals and reptiles.

Some big animals are Lion, Jaguar, Puma and Ostrich. The enclosures are big, but they aren't too small either.

They have a nice variety of small/medium native animals, including Crab-eating fox, Gray brocket, Collared peccary, White-lipped peccary, Jaguarundi, Ocelot, Oncilla, Tayra, Howler monkey (I think that they were Black howler females), White-cheeked spider monkey, Tufted capuchin, Brazilian porcupine and several others...

They also have a variety of birds, with Greater rhea, Hyacinth macaw, Red-and-green macaw, Blue-and-gold macaw, Ara ararauna x Ara chloroptera, Golden parakeet, Toco toucan, Green-billed toucan, Curl-crested jay, Bare-faced curassow, Nocturnal curassow, other curassow(s) that I don't remember, Barn owl, Spectacled owl (I think), other owl(s) that I don't remember, King vulture...

They have a small variety of reptiles, with Green iguana, Yacare caiman, Yellow-bellied slider, Indian python, Red-tailed boa, Caninana, Red-footed tortoise... Surprisingly I had some fun with the Red-footed tortoises, because the zoo houses a large group (I think with about 15 animals).

The small animals look well-maintained.

I haven't seen Maned wolf, Marsh deer and Bush dog... Idk if the exhibits are empty or if they were just hiding.

Mixed exhibits that I remember are...
    A walk-through aviarium with White-headed whistling and other ducks, Yellow-bellied sliders, some parrot species.
    Gray brocket + Greater rhea + Collared peccary
    Green-billed toucan + Curl-crested jay
    Burrowing owl + Some mammal that I don't remember what is now...

Sorry for the lack of information, this was a very spontaneous summary.

3. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

Thanks Felipe.
    What was the standard of the enclosures like? Apart from the species you've mentioned, was there anything very rare on display?

4. FelipeDBKO

YW

Most of the enclosures have iron bars like that:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I wouldn't say something very rare, but species that usually aren't exported like Gray brocket, Marsh deer and Curl-crested jay. I think that some species like Tayra, Jaguarundi and Brazilian porcupine also are relatively uncommon.

Touching on the subject, a zoo with rare native species is the São Paulo Zoo (Zoológico de São Paulo), with Blond capuchin, Lear's macaw, Scinax alcatraz and probably other species that I don't know that they have.

Nikola Chavkosk likes this.
  5. FelipeDBKO

Oh, I also have seen a Howler monkey (Brown, I think) that can walk loose by all the zoo. I think that this isn't common outside Brazil. xD

6. devilfish

Thanks. If the Oncilla are the southern species at least they'd be special.

Thanks for the photos too.

Yes I visited São Paulo Zoo twice this spring. Unfortunately many of the rarer species are off-display, but there's still plenty on exhibit. Southern muriqui and black lion tamarin are also worth a mention, along with a great bird collection and various interesting snakes and Amphibians. :)

7. FelipeDBKO

YW²
    In fact this isn't the first time that I've seen a Oncilla... I've already seen one in a small zoo, the Guarulhos Zoo (Zoológico de Guarulhos), my "home" zoo (yes, I live in São Paulo, but far from the São Paulo Zoo). With "southern species" you mean Leopardus tigrinus guttulus? Both of the zoos don't say the subspecies, but I think that it's this subspecies... If not, probably it's Leopardus tigrinus tigrinus.

YW³
    Unfortunately it's been a while since I've been to the São Paulo Zoo. I know that the Lear's macaws aren't on display and I think that the Scinax alcatraz aren't too, but when you visited the zoo did you see the Blond capuchins?
    Yep, Brazil have a lot of animals that are quite common here but outside the country they aren't, like a lot of Bothrops snakes, a lot of Colubridae/Dipsadidae snakes, some deer species (Brockets, Marsh deer, Pampas deer), a lot of passerines, Howlers and other monkeys, amphibians, etc...

8. FelipeDBKO

Better information:

After remaining closed for 6 years, the Piracicaba Zoo was reformed and reopened.

The zoo is home to 219 animals and 60 species in 58 exhibits.

Among the birds are Blue-and-gold macaw, Red-fronted macaw, Ostrich, Caracara (Southern crested, I think?), Burrowing owl, Striped owl, Barl owl, Greater rhea, Common pheasant, Roadside hawk, Short-tailed hawk, White-eyed parakeet, Stygian owl, Bare-faced curassow, Orange-winged amazon, Blue-fronted amazon, Scarlet macaw, White peafowl, Green peafowl, Toco toucan, King vulture, Razor-billed curassow, Black-fronted piping guan, Red-billed curassow and Ara ararauna x Ara macao.

Among the mammals are Brown howler monkey, Black howler monkey, Collared peccary, White-cheeked spider monkey, Lesser grison, Oncilla, Jaguarundi, Ocelot, Lion, Puma, Jaguar, Coati (Ring-tailed, I think?), White-lipped peccary, White-tufted marmoset, Black-tufted marmoset, Gray brocket, Capuchin (Tufted, I think?), Red-handed tamarin, Geoffroy's marmoset, Red brocket, Marsh deer and Bush dog.

Among the reptiles are Green iguana, Red-footed tortoise, Sliders (I think that they have both Red-eared and Yellow-bellied), Broad-snouted caiman, Yacare caiman, Red-tailed boa, Indian python and Caninana.

Source: Zoológico e Paraíso da Criança foram visitados no ano passado por 240 mil pessoas - Prefeitura Municipal de Piracicaba

OBS: I think this is a bit outdated.

9. devilfish

Yeah I do - it's now believed to be a species in its own right. :)
    I've also been to Guarulhos Zoo.
    The Scinax alcatraz should now be on display - an enclosure was being built for them when I last visited. I saw the blond capuchins, and was also surprised to see some in RioZoo this year too. :)

Thanks!

FelipeDBKO likes this.
  10. carlos55

carlos55 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It is nice that Piracicaba zoo has 3 south american cervid species rather than the usual fallow or red deer that you find in many south american zoos.
    Amigo devilfish, what were the renovations that Riozoo had after it reopened this year ?

11. FelipeDBKO

I've seen one Brocket species and of the Marsh deer I just have seen the exhibit. :/

I haven't seen the Maned wolf, Marsh deer and Bush dog that are one of my favorite animals of the zoo :(

I don't know which one is the most common here in Brazil (Marsh deer & Brockets or exotic cervids)... But I know one farm of exotic animals here in Brazil that breed Gray brockets, Axis deers, Rusa deers, Dama deers and Red deers, along with several other exotic and native animals.

12. devilfish

Estimado amigo, unfortunately not much has changed. The large ape enclosures have been fenced off and hidden from public view, and the raised walkway over the mixed South American paddock outside the main entrance of the zoo has been renovated. In truth, the walkway is very impressive and a much more enjoyable experience these days, but I had hoped the rest of the zoo would have also improved - sadly it hasn't.

13. FelipeDBKO

I think that China will gift them a pair of Giant pandas because of the Olympics, but I don't really know how will it be.

14. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Hey, Felipe! I think you might have confused yourself, as there is no aquarium in Guarulhos. However, there is one in the city of Guarujá. There are other two aquariums I'd like to mention and those would be the ones in Santos and Ubatuba, which are located in the coast of the São Paulo state, just like the Acqua Mundo aquarium.

David Matos Mendes likes this.
  15. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Did you see any black-crested mangabeys (Lophocebus aterrimus)? Apparently, two females were sent to the Piracicaba zoo in 2012, coming from the Parque Ecológico Isidoro Bordon (Nova Odessa).

16. FelipeDBKO

Correct, @Enzo, it's Guarujá, thanks for pointing it out. And don't give much credibility to my old posts in general, xD.

Unfortunately, nothing about Old World monkeys at Piracicaba Zoo tickles my memory right now.

David Matos Mendes likes this.