Join our zoo community

Brazilian zoos

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by FelipeDBKO, 7 Jan 2018.

1. zoo_enthusiast

zoo_enthusiast Well-Known Member

This is a great thread, but can it be moved to the Brazil sub-forum? It’s much easier to find such threads later on, if one is planning to travel to Brazil, for example, and is looking for zoo reviews (as I often do)

FelipeDBKO likes this.
  2. FelipeDBKO

FelipeDBKO Well-Known Member

Thank you for the suggestion, @zoo_enthuasiast. If you're correct someone from the staff may move it, right?

3. zoo_enthusiast

zoo_enthusiast Well-Known Member

That’s right. Hopefully moderators will move it

FelipeDBKO likes this.
  4. FelipeDBKO

São Paulo Aquarium (Aquário de São Paulo): Located in São Paulo (my city), it is one of the largest aquariums in Latin America. I visited this place a lot, even in school trips.
    Last year, the São Paulo Aquarium has made a reform, bringing various animals that weren't kept in captivity in Brazil or pretty unusual here, including red kangaroos, red-necked wallabies, meerkats, mantled guerezas, ring-tailed lemurs, harbour seals, south american sea lions and, finally, echidnas, wombats, koalas, polar bears and south american fur seals. As the São Paulo Aquarium in the begin was just focused on fishes & other "indoor" animals, the guests view most of the animals indoor and through glasses.
    Before the reform, the São Paulo Aquarium was already one of the best aquariums of Latin America and exhibited species like magellanic penguin, amazonian manatee (kept in a large tank with big groups of arapaimas, red-tailed catfishes and pacus), linnaeu's two-toed sloth, large flying fox, south american fur seal (I guess that they got substituted by the three harbour seals), southern tamandua, neotropical otter, arrau river turtle, geoffroy's sideneck turtle and, of course, a variety of fishes including spotted sorubim, brycon, electric eel, atlantic tarpon, atlantic goliath grouper, southern stingary, sand tiger shark, nurse shark...

5. FelipeDBKO

(OBS: For some reason I wasn't able to edit my post, but the reform was in 2015, not last year.)