Join our zoo community

Breeding Rhinos in North America

Discussion in 'United States' started by Saro, 21 Nov 2011.

1. Saro

Saro Well-Known Member

After a quick glance through ISIS, it seems to me that hardly any zoo in North America is currently breeding either Southern White or Black rhinos (White Oak being one of the few exceptions). How is the status of the African rhinos in North America ? Are the formerly breeding animals getting too old or did I just get a wrong picture by looking at a relatively small window in time. Which private facilities are currently breeding African rhinos ? And lastly, if there is only a handful (despite the large overall number of rhinos), is there reason to worry ?

2. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Southern White Rhinos are doing well (in terms of numbers, genetically not so much). A few zoos in the US, especially in Florida, are successfully breeding their whites including: Busch Gardens, Lowry Park, Disney, Rum Creek, White Oak, Wilds, and Lion Country Safari. It has been 8 years since the last white rhino calf was born in the US outside of one of these facilities (Audubon, Fort Worth both in 2003). For all the numbers that San Diego has ever had, they have yet to achieve a live birth since 2002.

However, moves will/are occuring to promote further breeding and hopefully start new breeding herds. Of course all of this is mainly due to the number of recents imports of white rhinos from Africa over the last 15 years and the white oak program.

Eastern Black and Indian Rhinos continue a steady effort of breeding. Only recently has the Indian rhino program dramatically increased through an import of 3.0, new private holds, and many new exhibits. The Eastern Black have been held back due to competition with Southern Blacks for space/holding, but will eventually replace Southern Blacks as they are phased out.

Southern Black Rhino program is dead. Many are being sourced to private individuals, mexican zoos (AZA), and non-SSP zoos. I'm assuming that the recent expansion of the planned zoo in Gulf Shores, Alabama for rhinos, will include Southern Blacks.

And the Sumatran Rhino program is now comprised of 1.0 at Los Angeles and 1.1 at Cincinnati.

3. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Its a shame about the southern black rhino. Do you know what is happening to the animals at fossil rim? If the zoos are moving their animals on it would be good if some could come to Dubbo to provide new blood there

4. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

Didn't Fossil Rim get a male from Dubbo named Kusimona?

5. Saro

Saro Well-Known Member

@Gerenuk : Thank you very much for posting this very interesting information ! I am really surprised about San Diego.

6. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

yep and he has fathered one male calf. That's why Im interested in their future

7. Rookeyper

Rookeyper Well-Known Member

I'm not up to date on all of the rhino breeding in the US, though I do talk to a rhino keeper at Cincinnati, but some of the newer information will not show up on ISIS due to the conversion to ZIMS.

8. BlackRhino

BlackRhino Well-Known Member

I know San Diego Safari Park, Cleveland, Miami, and St. Louis all have active breeding programs for Eastern Black Rhinos. Most recently St. Louis in January of 2011, Miami August 2010, Cleveland August 2010, and San Diego Safari Park June 2010. Does anyone else know of US zoos with active breeding programs for Eastern Black Rhinos?

I know some like Brookfield and Caldwell use to have breeding programs, but its difficult to think of others that actually do.

9. gerenuk

Kansas City (2010), Baton Rouge (2009), Sedgwick Co (2007), Sioux Falls (2010).

Caldwell zoo is still active. Its last birth was in 2007, but the zoo lacks space for any further breeding. Once space is freed up, you can expect more calves from them.

10. BlackRhino

BlackRhino Well-Known Member

Is DAK not breeding their black rhinos? They have a lot of space to do so, and a baby black rhino on Kilamanjaro Safari would be quite a site.

11. gerenuk

DAK does not have a lot of space to breed rhinos and their barn is currently full.

12. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

Toronto Zoo got in some new female Southern White Rhinos a year ago (or was it the year before that?) and I believe they will be bred. I believe the last time they were bred was back in 1990. Their Indian Rhino have been bred more often I believe.

13. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They just sent of a surplus male rhino.

I expect breeding to start ...