Join our zoo community

Zoológico Municipal de Guarulhos Breeding success of the buffy tufted marmoset at Zoológico de Guarulhos

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Onychorhynchus coronatus, 14 Oct 2019.

1. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. Onychorhynchus coronatus

In terms of zoos with Callithrix aurita (In Sao Paulo state) :

• Guarulhos Zoo : Several individuals kept in a number of enclosures, these have bred multiple times with first breeding in 2009 , Zoo holds the studbook for the species.
    • Sorocaba Zoo: Currently one individual is housed in small primate section with a black tufted marmoset, obviously no breeding yet, but fingers crossed a female can be obtained from Guarulhos Zoo or private breeding centre for this to happen.
    • CECFAU/ Sao Paulo Zoo (Conservation centre of the state of Sao Paulo): Houses a breeding colony of buffy tufted marmosets , not formally open to the public.
    The majority of primates have ex-situ breeding programes in Brazil. These are largely coordinated by ICMBIO and the Centro Nacional de Pesquisa e Conservação de Primatas Brasileiros (National centre of conservation and research of Brazilian primates). However, the situation is changing continuously as new species are frequently being discovered (and often in heavily deforested or threatened areas) as with the case of the newly discovered Mico munduruku.

Last edited: 14 Oct 2019
    ThylacineAlive and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  4. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm really glad to hear this! I honestly did not expect the situation to be so well organized. I know it's a lot to ask so I understand if you don't want to do it, but if you ever had the time I'd love to see a rundown of the general situation of the various native primates which have organized breeding programs in Brazil, especially the endangered ones. :)

~Thylo

5. Onychorhynchus coronatus

No problem at all. The situation is well organized in terms of ex-situ conservation for most species (primates and otherwise) as the better zoos within the country really do their utmost to conserve these species.

However, there are always issues with securing adequate funding in zoos or captive breeding centres due to the lack of any wider political and economic will to invest in conservation (now more than ever with the cuts to public funding and Bolsonaro).

ThylacineAlive and Kifaru Bwana like this.