Join our zoo community

Bristol Blue Reef Aquarium Bristol aquarium

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 20 Feb 2014.

Tags:
  1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

5. Dormitator

Dormitator Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I visited the aquarium today for the first time in about 6-7 years. I don't remember too much about it, other than it being a bit sub par, however I was reasonably impressed. Having just looked on Zootierliste to try and ID a few of the things I saw it looks like there is a lot of stuff that's just not listed, I'll add a species list when I've got the time next week.

Though it still falls for the same trap as most aquariums do by discussing conservation a lot, but then using dozens of species in its displays which have never been captive bred or are fundamentally unsustainable, the education side of things is pretty good, with lots of interpretation around, particularly with the tropical plants. Also good was the clear, well maintained glass and decent lighting, very important for finicky photographers!

Highlights species wise:

The biggest electric eel I've ever seen

A fantastic and totally unexpected group of Cincelichthys bocourti (Theraps-they've had a name change. Sorry that was a hideous joke)

A huge Adonis plec hiding amongst the gibbys in the tankbuster tank, and a lovely royal plec in the same tank

A lively tropical marine tank with a ton of different species, quite a few obscure bits and pieces as well. And it had a flat full height glass wall for photography!

The beautiful Pacific giant octopus being cuddled by one of the staff. Incredible to see such an awesome animal showing interest in people. I know this expression of adoration is in contrast to the comments above about unsustainability, but damn I love Cephalopods.

Lowlights:

Potamotrygon freshwater stingrays being housed with terrapins

The terrible signage which either completely missed the most obvious species, or listed species which almost certainly (never say never though) were not actually in the tanks

The electric eel tank could do with a larger tank

The above comment about praising captive breeding whilst using largely wild caught stock

A good hour and a bit was spent, unfortunately it's pretty expensive for a single visit - membership rates seem reasonable. But overall it's much improved over my last visit.

Swampy likes this.