Join our zoo community

Bristol Zoo (Closed) Bristol Zoo news 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Rajang21, 15 Jan 2015.

1. Rajang21

Rajang21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I don't know if anyone on here was aware, but the Owl Monkey enclosure in Twilight World now instead holds two Quolls (no signage present at the moment).

2. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Welcome to the UK, the perfect zoo for them.

3. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks for letting us know, I shall go tomorrow. Great news to start the year.

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Fantastic news; I wondered how long it would take the Eastern Quolls being churned out by Leipzig and Frankfurt to make their way across to our shores......

This does, of course, mean that Bristol now has two species of Dasyurid in the same house - I wonder if it is out of the question for us to hope they get sent one or two of the Tassie Devils being bred by Kobenhavn next? :p ;)

5. Rajang21

In addition to the quolls (of which there are at least three), the ground cuscus have a Joey, and the Kowari have had a litter (I was told this by a volunteer, apparently they are offshow). The wallaby walkthrough is making progress - with a sign on the barriers picturing the potential occupants - I cannot say this is confirmed, but it sure won't be Macropus rufogriseus. With this in mind, it seems Bristol is fast becoming the place for marsupials in Britain.

Attached Files:

6. kiang

That does seem to be a yellow footed rock wallaby and a rather rocky looking enclosure, as you said, fast becoming marsupial central.

7. TeaLovingDave

As the planning permission for the walkthrough actually stated it will contain Yellow-footed Rock Wallaby, we can be reasonably secure in assuming the photograph on the sign is accurate.

Out of curiosity, did you happen to notice whether Bristol had both colour morphs of Quoll?

8. kiang

For those of us that do not go trawling local authority websites it has come as a lovely surprise and a pleasant change from the norm.

9. TeaLovingDave

Quite; though as it was Gentle Lemur that posted about the planning permission in the preceding Bristol Zoo news thread it was not myself that went trawling through local authority websites :p

Be great if the walkthrough held more than one wallaby taxon; Agile or Tammar for preference, or possibly a Pademelon.

10. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It's nice to see a British zoo that is interested in Marsupials.

11. Rajang21

I obviously missed yellow-footed in GL's link and only saw Rock Wallaby, which was frankly enough for me to be excited about anyway. Harking back to other people's hopes of what birds might be held in this new exhibit - I don't really have a preference as such, but I'm hoping that it will be like a scaled-down version of Taronga's Creatures of the Wollemi - which is the impression the proposals give.

As for the colour morphs, there were two dark and one light.

12. TeaLovingDave

Excellent; I somewhat prefer the dark morph.

13. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I like to think of it as spear-fishing, rather than trawling :D

And I'd be quite prepared to queue to see quokka to match the quolls :D

Alan

14. BongoHardwood

BongoHardwood Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Interesting news about the quolls! Done some digging and there are 1.3 in total (1.1 of one colour morph and 0.2 of the other, not sure which way round!).

15. kiang

I visited the zoo about 10 years ago and in a display cage just after the Arabian sand cats on the left hand side before the jungle area was a single elephant shrew, but looking at zootiereliste for all elephant shrew, no mention.
    I'm sure it would have been a short eared elephant shrew, can anyone confirm and maybe update

16. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I visited Bristol today, arriving in the nocturnal section at 9.10 am. Two keepers were spreading bark in the quoll enclosure. However as soon as they left the first quoll appeared :)
    I saw all four, I presume the biggest is the male - light brown morph and roughly the size of a cat. The other three were about half the size and much more active, one light brown and two dark, as AdamD601 informed us. They were quite active even before the brighter lights went out and the smaller three were very active in mid-morning when I checked back. They were quite enthusiastic about climbing, but not agile enough to impress - I nearly had a fit of the giggles as one of darker ones struggled bravely to deal with the combination of a thin branch and the force of gravity.
    I hope that one or two photos will follow soon.

Alan

17. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

What does the future hold for the lions as they must be nearly fully grown now so will we see some lionesses in the future?

Charles likes this.
  18. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Most likely scenario? One male leave, one female arrive. Its not large enough for more.

19. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

TBH, that enclosure is on the small side for Lions. And I can remember it when it actually was five separate dens (which is about all they were - I feel fairly certain that they were all smaller than the three larger outdoor cages in London's 1876 Lion House).

What would other chatters do with it?

For the record, I'd use it for a pair of Snow Leopards, but then I would...:rolleyes:

20. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

When it was five cages, I think they would combined have all almost fitted into one of the three larger outdoor ZSL cages.;)

TBF I think since Bristol enlarged their Lion enclosure it is now fairly spacious and adequate for just one pair (+cubs). And Bristol with no Lions?:eek: