Join our zoo community

Bristol Zoo (Closed) Bristol Zoo news 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Rajang21, 15 Jan 2015.

1. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Thought of putting him in the Twilight World house?

2. MelissaBee888

MelissaBee888 Active Member 10+ year member

Possible, but even then it'll still need some considerable enclosure modification.

3. TeaLovingDave

Something as odd and special as this is more than worth the wait to get a suitable enclosure set up in any case :)

4. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

Hope to be visiting this weekend and was wondering what species are special to Bristol and what I should look out for.

Could anyone help me out with a map (on that point why don't we have a map gallery so people can upload maps new and old)

5. TeaLovingDave

First things first, make sure you enter the Twilight Realm - best time to visit this area is as soon as the zoo opens, as the lights will still be switched on for roughly a half-hour giving the best opportunity to see the taxa within. Among quite a few damn nice taxa, the must-see are:

Kowari (only ones in the UK)
    Eastern Quoll (only ones in the UK)
    Aye-Aye (only ones on-display in the UK)
    New Guinea Ground Cuscus

Other must-see taxa at Bristol include:

Agile Gibbon
    Sclater's Lemur
    Drill
    Canadian Otter
    Crowned Lemur
    European Souslik (only ones in the UK)
    Yellow-footed Rock Wallaby (only ones in the UK)

I also strongly suggest you visit the reptile house and invert house, as both are extremely good - the former is probably the joint-best in the UK with the one at ZSL London, and is certainly more speciose. The latter is *better* than the one at ZSL London and is undoubtedly the best in the UK. I have always got one or two lifeticks within these houses each time I visit Bristol.

Copyright reasons, basically - although every so often someone does upload an image of a zoo map, so it's more of a "we can't have it happening constantly in case the site gets in trouble" issue rather than a hard and fast rule.

6. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

I don't get why Bristol don't have a map on their website.

7. TeaLovingDave

They did until very recently - for lord only knows what reason they removed the map at the same time as they revamped their website.

8. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If you can get to the Zoo as soon as it opens at 9 am, you can get a short time in the Twilight World before the lights go out. This means that you may get really good views of the sand cats, kowari and quolls (and perhaps of the aye-ayes too). Turn left as you leave the entrance, go past the lions and turn left again at the keas. You can still see them when it's dark of course, but it is very dark so give your eyes plenty of time to adapt.
    I am surprised that there is no map on the website, but they will give you one when you arrive. Actually the zoo is so small that it's not hard to avoid missing anything and it's easy to revisit any exhibit where the animals are not showing well.
    Don't miss the rock wallabies, although you may not be able to walk through the new exhibit. I recommend the gorilla feed and talk too.

Alan

9. adrian1963

Many thanks folks for the info.

10. adrian1963

Just added a old map of the zoo if anyone can say what changes there are I would be eternally grateful

11. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I believe the paddlefish in the aquarium are the only ones in the UK.

12. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

5 highlights for me :-
    Aye-aye
    Kowari
    Quoll
    Rock wallaby
    The whole of Bug World! ;)

As stated by everybody else, it's hard to miss anything at Bristol, especially if you keep back tracking! For comparison purposes it's roughly twice the size of BNC!

13. Ned

Just thought I'd give the zoo's evening talks a plug. First Wednesday of the month (i.e. tomorrow) 6pm and they're free. I don't know what tomorrow's talk is about as I can't download the info, you might have better luck.
    Bristol Zoo - Conservation lectures

14. Zoovolunteer

Zoovolunteer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Tomorrow's talk is a guy from Durrell on restoring the lost reptile communities of Mauritius - should be very interesting. Gate is in the conservation education centre entrance the other side of the zoo from the main gate. The talk starts at 6pm

15. Ned

Thanks for that it should be an interesting talk, hope I can make it.

16. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A Crowned Lemur has been born (1st breeding at Bristol)

17. TeaLovingDave

Excellent news :) Crowned Lemur is one of the trickier Eulemur taxa to breed, if I recall correctly. They just need to breed their Sclater's now, as that taxon direly needs breeding success!

18. Daddy Gorilla

Daddy Gorilla Member

Haven't seen a separate Wild Place thread so thought I'd mention it here... Currently fundraising for a giraffe house to the tune of 750k which I think is great news. Personally I would like to know why they don't just use some of the 40m in the reserves, will surely pay for itself relatively quickly.

The sooner the better I say, hopefully some of my dual membership money has already gone towards this project. Assuming it's planned for some time in 2016, it makes renewing next year a formality.

Subjectively speaking of course as I have a young family to whom this would appeal enormously.

19. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

All new on Wildplace is under The Wild Place ,here is one of 3 posts on the place already posted http://www.zoochat.com/38/next-steps-332916/

20. Daddy Gorilla

Daddy Gorilla Member