Join our zoo community

Bristol Zoo (Closed) Bristol Zoo news 2016

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 12 Jan 2016.

1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Very cold day at the zoo to day. Henkel's leaf-tailed gecko on display in reptile house. Twilight world has been closed a month now unless it's only closed on days I visit.

3. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

Cool news about the stick insects, but will they go on display? If they are then I might be able to convince an friend who likes inverts to revisit.

4. Ned

They're sort of on display already, they are in terrariums at the back of one of the breeding rooms. Hopefully they will be brought forward when they're a little bigger.

5. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Message on twitter says that Twilight World is closed for a few days for some 'exciting changes'

6. MelissaBee888

MelissaBee888 Active Member 10+ year member

We do plan on having them on display proper eventually - we're just making sure we have the husbandry nailed as they are quite a tricky species so far.

7. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

8. MelissaBee888

MelissaBee888 Active Member 10+ year member

Budapest were unsuccessful in rearing them in 2012/13

9. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What are you feeding them on? Do you have to grow Melaleuca howeana or will they take other foliage?

10. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

11. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

12. Daddy Gorilla

Daddy Gorilla Member

I didn't notice any online news announcing the loss of the pigmy hippo calf, so enquired after it today having seen the mother on her own over the last few visits.

I was told how the post mortem revealed that the calf died due to a build-up of a ball of lactose. This condition has only ever been seen in humans and is apparently a world first in the animal kingdom. Experts from the US have been drafted in to investigate.

13. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It was mentioned on here and also on the Zoo's facebook page. Apparently it died either on the day I last visited the Zoo in early December, or the day after, as I did not see it, but signs about the 'baby Hippo' were still in evidence.

14. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

On Saturday (6/2/2016), I will be visiting Bristol Zoo. I was wondering if anybody had any tips for my visit? Thanks in advance.

15. Ned

The classic piece of advice is to arrive at 9am and go straight to the moonlight world while the lights are still on (they go out between 9:30 and 10). That's assuming moonlight world is open as it was undergoing refurbishments.

16. Macaw16

Annoyingly I doubt I will be able to get there in time, although I'll try and head straight there if I do get to the zoo before 10. Thanks for the advice though. :)

17. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Whispers along the grapevine indicate another Yellow-footed Rock Wallaby was born in mid-January.

18. matthew

matthew Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Flamingo enclosure has been drained for a spring clean, and there are also now 2 Grey Crowned Cranes in the enclosure.

Demolition work has began on the aviaries and heaps of trouble next to the old Monkey Temple.. Any news on what will be going here?

In the Lion enclosure the glass has been frosted over along the walk way to the nocturnal house.

Work appears to have finished in the nocturnal house with new lit signage. It seems to me to be darker again though compared to what it used to be!

19. Macaw16

I'm guessing that means the Kowari enclosure has been reopened, as on my visit a couple of weeks back, it was closed for refurbishment (or something like that), and was the House Mouse enclosure open?

20. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I was unaware it was *possible* for that house to get any darker than it already was :p