Join our zoo community

Bristol Zoo (Closed) Bristol Zoo news 2017

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 13 Jan 2017.

1. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I don't agree at all. The lion enclosure faces south east, so it is not dark (except for the right hand section). I think that male lions are among the laziest of animals and I am sure that they have plenty of space in that enclosure, although as I wrote previously, I would like to see it remodelled to open out some of the space and amalagamate that right hand section with the main one. I presume that the studbook is happy to have a zoo with two spare male Asian lions: incidentally I don't think the drill studbook keeper would be happy to let a zoo build up a large group of drills - too many eggs in one basket.
    It is because Bristol has lost so many large species that losing another would be such a problem. I cannot think of a smaller cat that could replace the lions in terms of their appeal to children, and I think that they form a higher proportion of the visitors at Bristol than at most other zoos. I don't see many parallels between Bristol and Jersey. I think we ought to compare Bristol and Wild Place with Regent's Park and Whipsnade, although they are smaller in scale. The urban zoos both continue to face the problem of a legacy of old-fashioned buildings, which need to be remodelled or replaced to meet modern requirements, while retaining some of their historic characters and still attracting visitors while competing with many other attractions nearby.

Crowthorne likes this.
  2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think if/when the Lions were to be moved to Wildplace, that park would then have 'come of age' as it were- it would then be established as a major collection. If they moved the Hippos too, that would emphasise it even further. (I don't know if the Tapirs have moved yet).The only problem I see is whether Bristol(the city) and environs can support three(Noah's Ark being the third) major animal collections so close together. And would people still want to visit the city zoo site as much....

Last edited: 6 Jul 2017
  3. Pertinax

Correct certainly to a degree- some years ago they moved two females from the PL group to start another group in Munich(?) rather than let them form another group, though the PL group currently numbers 8-10 (a new baby was born very recently.) I think how large groups are allowed to grow also depends to an extent on whether there's a waiting list from other Zoos wanting them, and how long it is. But in suitable accomodation Bristol could probably hold a group of up to say, eight, before they were asked to transfer some.

Regarding the Lions- although I agree the housing is perfectly adequate for two indolent males, a lot of their visitors don't see it that way- there are frequent negative comments on their Facebook about the Lion enclosure.

4. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I think they definitely would. It would still be Bristol Zoo, it would still be a convenient family day out, and anyone who thinks for five seconds would know that the lions make up a tiny part of their visit anyway.
    When they inevitably leave down the line Bristol could get snow or regular leopard, but they would be better off in a swanky new exhibit.

Pertinax likes this.
  5. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Coelacanth18, Kifaru Bwana and Swampy like this.
  6. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

7. Dormitator

Dormitator Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wow, didn't even know they kept that species.

I spent a little time there at the weekend, saw one of the quolls lolloping around looking fantastic. Fingers crossed they do well. Still disappointed that the southern pudu appear to have been completely replaced by mara now...

8. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

9. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

10. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I suspect it was a journalist error - i.e. the first bred at Bristol Zoo becoming the first bred in the UK. I'd imagine Philippine cockatoos have been bred plenty of times in the UK before.

MagpieGoose likes this.
  11. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

The Avicultural Society's "UK First Breeding Records" gives the first UK breeding of this species as happening in 1984.

Kifaru Bwana and MagpieGoose like this.
  12. vogelcommando

I was already wondering that the species wasn't bred before !

13. Pertinax

Bristol have experinced several such errors recently- some promoted by themselves e.g.

'Afia' first Gorilla born in UK by caesarian section- they had one themselves in 1980.
    Drills- current ones are the first at the Zoo- they used to have them in the 1950's.

14. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Bristol had 562,252 visitors in 2016 up 3%

15. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2 Visayan tarictic hornbills have hatched and are currently being mother reared.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  16. vogelcommando

Kifaru Bwana and FBBird like this.
  17. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I see another Drill has been born.

18. Pertinax

Are you referring to a very recent birth i.e. in the last few days,, or the one a few weeks/months ago now?

19. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Don't know how old but looks young, face still pink. It's the third youngster to be born to the group if that helps.

Pertinax likes this.
  20. Pertinax

Thanks, its a few weeks/months old now, and yes, its the third (live) birth in the group.