Join our zoo community

Bristol Zoo (Closed) Bristol Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Crowthorne, 6 Jan 2018.

1. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Where are the wallabies going?

2. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They went to Flamingo Land last summer. A shame to see them go but tree kangaroos are a great replacement.

TNT likes this.
  3. charliejb

charliejb Well-Known Member

4. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

5. Ned

I can't quite visualise how this is going to work, it seems like they are going to have an enclosure within the walk-through so I wonder if there'll be free flying birds in there too or else it will be a bit of a waste of such a big structure.

6. Dylan

Dylan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

One thing I noticed when I was there is the big sign with all the conservation is wrong. For those that haven't been, it' a large map that points to various countries and has a short passage on the conservation that the society does in that country. But the arrow for their lemur leaf frog conservation in Costa Rica actually points to Honduras. And their Tanzanian macaque conservation points to Mozambique. Only someone who really knows maps can see it but it caused me a lot of amusement. Only beaten by the Flamingo land sign

TNT likes this.
  7. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Macaque or Mangabey :p, there are no Macaque in subsaharan Africa ;)

Mehdi and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think he meant Kipunji mangabey. And I can think of a few other Cercopithecidae like the Udzungwa red colobus .

9. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Kipunji is not really a mangabey though, Sanje mangabey would be a better fit.

10. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

A quick google for Bristol's Tanzanian conservation concerns suggests it is indeed the Sanje Mangabey.

11. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This enormous structure doesn't seem to have quite lived up to expectations so far- it seems to have been closed as a walk-through a lot of the time and then the Rock Wallabies didn't seem to work out for some reason I never discovered. Has it been open recently and what does it contain now?

12. Ned

It's currently closed while it's been redeveloped for tree kangaroo, I presume there will be public access when it's finished but with the kangaroos inside an inner enclosure. This makes the original structure redundant unless free-flying birds are to be kept in it.

13. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

A nice little bit of zoo history has been unearthed - a flight of steps that lead up to the old Monkey Temple (now Smarty Plants). It is hoped more steps on other sides of the temple will be uncovered in the future

Historic steps unearthed at Bristol Zoo Gardens

14. TNT

Crowthorne, pipaluk and Zia like this.
  15. Pertinax

The steps have only been buried for twenty years...I remember them well. There was a bust of Alfred the Gorilla on the plinth shown in the old b/w photo. And the monkeys were NOT removed to the existing monkey enclosures- that's just a publicity fallacy I'm afraid, as the Temple contained a colony of rhesus macaques and their fate is unknown to me after the exhibit closed, but they disappeared from the zoo. (At the time of the Temple closure, I don't think the existing monkey enclosures were even in existence).

Last edited: 17 May 2018
    Crowthorne and gentle lemur like this.
  16. Pertinax

It looks nice, I hope it works better than the Rock wallabies did. I wish they could have done something like this for them too, instead of getting rid of them, surely room in this huge structure for both?

TNT likes this.
  17. TNT

Unless they have a second outdoor area for the TKs then there would be room for the wallabies in a non-walk through area.

18. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The rock wallaby walk-through never worked due to a fundamental lack of understanding of rock wallaby behaviour - they are skittish and prefer to be up high. There was nothing particularly wrong with the enclosure; it just should never have been a walk-through with this species. I'm not convinced that a walk-through tree kangaroo enclosure would be any better...

Nisha, Chatt Wolf, Crowthorne and 2 others like this.
  19. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Perhaps the problem for the rock wallabies was the number of visitors in a confined space .
    I saw the Bristol Rock Wallabies at Flamingoland in December and they came within a few feet of me when I was alone in the walk-through, suddenly a family with 2 youngish children came crashing through the gate and they shot back to hide in the rocks!

20. Pertinax

I know they are quite nervous animals and favour being up high. I was surprised this species was chosen for a walkthrough in fact, rather than the more typical Bennett's Wallaby. I think their new enclosure at Flamingo Park is also a walkthrough(or walk-past) of sorts, I wonder if they will fare better there. Its a shame Bristol did not instead modify the enclosure and continue with them. It seems the Tree Kangaroos will be in 'an enclosure within an enclosure.'

TNT likes this.