Join our zoo community

Bristol Zoo (Closed) Bristol Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Crowthorne, 6 Jan 2018.

1. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Actually I don't remember the title but it was a kid book that had a bear in a cage that you could remove and a killer whale in a pool that could be removed. Some things were ok, a shark fin in soup for example but the anti-zoo message was in there. And of course, the money from the item would help to fund Born Free.

pipaluk and sooty mangabey like this.
  2. Ned

3. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Australians can call Polytelis alexandrae whatever they like. But I want to uphold the traditional English name of Princess of Wales parakeet. I am not a royalist, but Alexandra, Princess of Wales (wife of the incorrigible Bertie, who became Edward VII) seems to have been a much nicer woman than most of her relatives.

Last edited: 2 Sep 2018
  4. Dormitator

Dormitator Well-Known Member 5+ year member

About time! She's been off show getting ever larger for a while, should be nice to see her on display.

5. Ned

To be honest, I thought she must have died it's taken so long.

6. MelissaBee888

MelissaBee888 Member 10+ year member

They are pretty slow growing unless you power feed them. She is on display, although it's up to her if she wants to actually be seen!

giant_anteater and Dormitator like this.
  7. Ned

I did get the impression it might take several visited before I see her.

8. charliejb

charliejb Well-Known Member

9. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Popped in here for a short visit yesterday, chiefly to see Kukena, the gorilla who is Salome's daughter. She looks well and has regrown her coat completely again (despite what they said about being bedding-related, I still think her almost total loss of hair was connected to the shock of her mother's death). But if the group stays as is, she will have to move on in the next year or two.

The Drill group seem to have lost an adult female? Only saw the pair plus two young. Has the other female died, or been moved elsewhere, or just hidden?

Elsewhere, Kea and Red Pandas were offshow due to renovations. The Native Cats were active, as were my favourites, the Black Rats in the 'attic' (but the Brown rats underneath seem to have gone.) Bird House closed due to some renovation work also. New Avairies on South-West Wall. The huge construction that is the Australian 'walkthrough' seems to have no real purpose now, or previously either...the two tree kangaroos on display are the main(only?) feature in this area. Zona Brazil looks rather tired nowadays while the Visayan Warty Pig enclosure is a bit of an eyesore among the attractive gardens. Hoped to see Lord Howe Island Stick Insects but they were not visible.

Last edited: 4 Oct 2018
    Brum and Gigit like this.
  10. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Native Cats?

Pertinax likes this.
  11. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Quolls, I'm assuming?

12. Dormitator

Dormitator Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I thought there was a small aviary in there as well for Australian species?

13. Pertinax

Possibly, but I don't understand what this enormous structure was designed to hold in the first place.

14. Pertinax

They are Eastern Native Cat I believe, not the larger Spotted-tailed Quoll. 'Quoll' seems a general term where its used.

15. CDavies98

CDavies98 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There is - currently holds Bali Starlings and another bird species as far as I'm aware?

It was originally designed and built to house wallabies - and did so for a while until they realised it was unsuccessful as the wallabies were too afraid to actually come out of their indoor areas into the walkthrough.

16. MelissaBee888

MelissaBee888 Member 10+ year member

We are working on a way of guests being able to see them in their hide - they're pretty photophobic and although they're out first thing in the morning, they don't take long to go back in there. Conversely, the centipede has been out and about all day!

17. Pertinax

I realised afterward that they are essentially nocturnal. so that explained why they were not to be seen...:( Could you somehow turn their display into a reverse-lighting one?

18. Pertinax

Yes, remember now, there is a small aviary in there next to one of the tree kangaroos' indoor area.

I knew about the failure of the Rock Wallabies but that doesn't explain the enormous size and height of this overall structure though. Was it originally intended to be a free-flight aviary perhaps?

19. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

All species are quolls. I've never actually heard anyone call them "native cats" in real life before, only in old books or as an "alternative name".

pipaluk and WhistlingKite24 like this.
  20. Pertinax

I think in the UK zoos that hold them,(Bristol anyway) they are labelled ' (Eastern) Native Cat', rather than Quoll, which is the less familiar term over here.