Join our zoo community

Bristol Zoo (Closed) Bristol Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Crowthorne, 6 Jan 2018.

1. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If they're not going to build anything , I can't see the point of demolishing the buildings or removing animals before they are ready to start building!

2. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

This is Bristol, an area I grew up in, everything is so backward there, so it doesn't surprise me.

Anyway Bristol's long term is to have the main Zoo at Wild Place as it's bigger and can be a massive attraction, and use Bristol Zoo Gardens as a Primate Centre, so them demolishing things doesn't surprise me at all. It would surprise me more if they built something there in it's place if they demolish it.

3. pipaluk

Why demolish it at all though if nothing is going to be built there?

4. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

I agree with you. But this is Bristol, nothing surprises me.

pipaluk likes this.
  5. CDavies98

CDavies98 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The thing with Bristol being so compact is that they can't put anything there unless they remove something else - undoubtedly something else will be built there eventually but as to when that is theres been no indication.

I'll be sad to see the Tapirs go but Zona has been out of shape for years now and it's about time something good was done in that space.

StoppableSan likes this.
  6. pipaluk

I accept that something good could be built there, but until it is going to be built , I can't see the point in having another empty, unused space for any length of time.

7. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm not sure it's been established that the greenhouse is being demolished but assuming it is, and going by Bristol past form, it could end up as a flower bed. That said, it's also possible the zoo have plans to develop the site in due course and have decided to remove the greenhouse early to save heating it over the winter. Or perhaps I'm being over optimistic.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  8. giant_anteater

giant_anteater Well-Known Member

I find this very hard to believe. Do you have a source? Wild Place may have more room to expand, but the Zoo gardens are central to the city and still a major attraction in its own right.

9. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Planning permission was granted on the 7th September 2016 for:-
    Refurbishment of existing 'Zona Brazil' exhibit to create a new 'Heart of the Philippines' exhibit. Proposed work would involve demolition of existing Geodi (sic) Monkey enclosure, part-demolition of low stone wall, removal of fence lines, refurbishment of existing animal enclosures, construction of new outdoor walk-through aviary, construction of 'mountain hut interpretation field station' building, hard and soft landscaping.
    The plans are available on the planning page of Bristol City Council's website. They show a new hothouse with indoor and outdoor aviaries for cockatoos, linked to the walk-through aviary, a viewing area overlooking the warty pigs and avairies for hornbills and bleeding heart doves.

Brum and Ned like this.
  10. pipaluk

Thanks for this Gentle Lemur. It doesn't appear clear that this is still intended according to earlier comments? Also, I would suggest moving the warty pigs to the tapir enclosure doesn't really improve the zoo, and most of the other species planned are possibly already elsewhere in the zoo, so several mammals lost with nothing added?

11. gentle lemur

Brum mentioned these plans initially. I don't know whether they will eventually be fulfilled, but I didn't see any others on the Planning webpage, so I suspect that they will be. On these plans the warty pigs remain in their current enclosure and so do the tapirs etc (although they may need to be moved while work is in progress). So a couple of marmoset enclosures may go, but I don't think that the Philippine cockatoos or any large hornbills are on show at the moment, so it's swings and roundabouts - plus I don't know which species are planned for the walk-through either.

12. CDavies98

I know for a fact the Tapirs are leaving, and I don't believe the Phillipines exhibit is still going ahead, that seems to have been scrapped soon after it was accepted. New CEO, new ideas I guess, as far as I know it shall stay empty for a while so planning for whatever is in its place will not have been lodged yet...

13. gentle lemur

Unless Zona Brasil is actually falling down, that seems bonkers to me.

pipaluk likes this.
  14. pipaluk

Exactly what I've been arguing GL

15. CDavies98

It's such an old building it costs an obscene amount to keep heated...

16. pipaluk

How old is it? 100 years?

17. CDavies98

Zona became the exhibit it is in the early 2000s but it was a seal enclosure long before it was readapted and seal and penguin coasts opened

StoppableSan likes this.
  18. pipaluk

So not very old then, it's hardly falling apart and doesn't need immediate demolition before building a new exhibit is ready to begin surely?!

19. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Can I nominate this as one of the most absurd comments to be posted on Zoochat in along while?

So, everything is backward in Bristol? is this just the zoo, or the whole of a great city that you are condemning?

And the zoo is to be converted into a "Primate Centre"? Why offer such utter hogwash, without any hint of a perhaps, or a maybe, or a possibly, when it is so far from the truth? You just end up looking silly, and you chip away at the remaining credibility of this site. Which is a shame.

FBBird, MelissaBee888, Ned and 9 others like this.
  20. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

It is worth noting that only last year, similar wild claims were being made by ZRUK about Chester planning to obtain a full set of bear species...... :p

MelissaBee888 and 14556 like this.